꩜ Chapter 58 ꩜

Draco's POV

Raven hadn't moved from her place on the arm chair. A cup of tea that is long since gone cold sat in her hands and she periodically twisted the cup around in its saucer.

It was times like these that I wish I could provide the comfort that my mother does so readily, but I'm not the kind of person who gives out affection like a currency. I tap my foot against the ugly sofa I sit on, waiting for my mother to return. My father was summoned hours ago, before Raven got here. I worry for Mum and the stress it puts on her, but I don't care for the man myself.

I glance up at the girl sitting across from me, ignoring the way my heart plummeted every time my eyes connect with her. The rims of her eyes are red and there are still flecks of blood on her wrists from where she grazed her hands on the driveway.

I want nothing more than to sit next to her and hold her until all of those dark thoughts I can see behind her eyes drift off, but it's not my right. I lost that chance a long time ago.

If I recall the moment I first saw Raven, I can't remember anything but thinking she was a distraction. I looked at her and I knew that I would be screwed if I didn't prioritise.

But like an infection, she squeezed her way into my life anyway.

I'll never know if it was for the best or worse but as I trail my eyes over her face, I can't help but feel gratitude for every moment she has been here.

My best friend and the person I loved more than anyone, aside from my mother- not that I could ever tell her that. No, she belonged to Riddle. And as much as it disdained me, he made her happy.

I could live without her as long as she was happy.

Her lips curve into a pathetic excuse for a smile as she sees me watching her. "What are you thinking about?"

You. Always you. "My father." She blinks and nods softly, like she knows exactly what I mean by that. Hell, she probably did. Raven had a way of seeing through everyone and everything.

"Draco," she began softly. "Do you think we'll survive this war?"

I stay silent for far too long. The only sound between us is the ticking of the grandfather clock in the room next to us. "I don't think it matters if we survive."

The clicking of my mothers heels dragged both our attention away from the growing darkness in the space. Her hair was tied half back so the white underside of her hair showed. My mother has always been beautiful, but too many years with my father dulled the glow she carried with her.

She looked at Raven with a polite smile before turning to me. "Draco, may I speak with you privately?"

I nod and wave Raven off as she moves to get out of her chair. "We'll go outside."

The hallway outside the drawing room is cold and a chill runs through me even in my suit. I'm tempted to cast a heating spell with my mothers wand but I don't get the chance.

"If you get summoned-"

I cut her off. "When I get summoned."

She lifts her chin. "If you get summoned, I need you to promise me you'll stay out of danger. I don't care about family honour anymore Draco. I care that you are safe and alive," she hisses. It was rare that I saw Mum like this. She was always so calm and collected, but since that day with Potter and his friends, my mother knew I had no heart on this side of the fight.

I hadn't identified Potter. I hadn't even put in that much effort when he was escaping. I didn't want a part in this section of history. "I can't promise that Mum, not when it means risking Raven," I sighed.