꩜ Chapter 63 ꩜

Voldemort scowled as the army of children around us rose once more to defend their school. In front of us, a boy I had never known, Neville Longbottom, charged into the mayhem of Death Eaters, his sword aiming for the Dark Lord's head. He was easily blown off by a defensive spell, his body flying to land harshly on the ground.

I looked to my left, seeing Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley looking intently at each other. I strained my ears over the cries of war to hear what she said to him. "We have to kill the snake!" Beside me, Mattheo looked over at Voldemort with a blank face. Whether or not he had heard what Granger had said, I didn't think it mattered.

Spells and curses began flying. Some of the Death Eaters turned and apparated, either scared off by the threat of the schools renewed hope or because they didn't believe such a fight was worth their time.

The body in the arms of Hagrid hadn't moved and as much as I hated that fucking coward, my hopes of winning this war were easily dwindled by the loss of the Chosen One. He and his friends were supposed to be the ones who took charge of this war.

But with only two left- with their own mission too apparently- there were few options. My muscles still ached and protested with every movement. I was tired, but not tired enough to give up just yet.

Dumbledore's army charged and I turned to look at my friends-turned family. Theo and Pansy smiled at each other fearfully as they headed into the carnage, their footsteps in unison. Blaise had nothing but hard determination on his face as he raced over to where Luna had followed the crowds out into the courtyard.

That just left me and Mattheo. Just like it always had been, always would be.

I looked up into those beautiful dark eyes and remembered every instance of falling in love with him. He smiled down at me like he knew exactly what I was thinking. My adoration poured from me and I clasped his hand tightly as we raised our wands and headed towards his father.

On my left, a group of Death Eaters advanced towards a pair of fourth years fighting together, their backs turned. I flung my arm out. "Bombarda." The ground at the Death Eaters feet exploded, stone and rocks flying and hitting them. The fourth years swung around and looked over at me with wide eyes, but I continued on, my hand still in Mattheo's.

He himself was spitting curses, taking down masked figures at an alarming rate. Perhaps it was his use of dark magic or his utter ruthlessness but a path formed in front of us as school students moved back to let us pass.

It was then that I realised our target was heading for us as well. Voldemort moved through the battle swiftly, killing anyone who attempted to get close to him. I felt a dark anger come over me as he hissed something to the snake at his side, sending her off towards the school. She began to chase after Granger and Weasley, completely unaware of his mistake. If they could do their part, we could do ours.

Mattheo let go of my hand suddenly, casting a shield over the top of us and many of the students around us as fire rained down like water. It hit the shield and dissipated. I spun around and spotted the offending Death Eater.

"Ventus." Strong wind blew forward and knocked the man into one of the columns of the courtyard, his back snapping with the impact.

As we moved forward, Death Eaters started surrounding us until we were completely separate from the rest of the students. Black robes and silver masks made me feel like I was in a funhouse of mirrors. I glanced back at Mattheo and offered him a grin before attacking the woman closest to me. Mattheo kept his back to mine as we shielded each other and fought off the group. A rope snuck around my ankle and tried to pull me to the ground but Mattheo cut it at the last moment. A hunk of rubble was thrown towards Mattheo as he fended off another attacker. I jumped in front of him and blasted it to dust before binding the Death Eater who threw it.