Chapter 49 ~ Forwards

A/N: HELLO MY LOVELIES, I MISSED YOU!

Now please enjoy the shit-show that has become my wonderful book x.

The month of February flew by, with the only thing to fill my time being classes and studying. 

Exams where in a couple of months, and the professors had started heaping onto our work load. 

The new biggest drama of the school? The disappearance of the three faces of Gryffindor. Harry Potter, Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley were found gone one morning, with only a letter to explain their whereabouts. 

I wanted to laugh but suddenly all the humour had left the world. 

"Do those buffoons really think they're going to take down the Dark Lord by themselves? They're hardly even adults," Pansy muttered. 

I grimaced and nodded in agreement. I knew that Weasley and Granger were of age but how Potter thought he would escape the Ministry was unknown to me. The trace would still be intact until he turned 17. 

We sat in Ancient Runes, doodling on our parchment and sharing our thoughts back and forth. Daphne sat on Pansy's other side, joining into conversation where another person was needed. 

The blonde girl didn't have her usual energy, I noticed. 

But then again, no one does. The thought was depressing and I shoved it out of my mind as best I could. 

I turned 17 in a few weeks, making me a legal adult. It was something I had always looked forward to but now found no excitement in. I had passed my apparation exams, I could go anywhere in the world if I wanted. Somehow that all seemed diminished by the darkness that had fallen over the school. 

My Dad had sent an early present, consisting of a ring which had runes of luck and fortune carved into it, and some of my favourite sweets which we had only been able to find in Germany. I had grinned at them, knowing he had made the trip just for me. 

"Anyways, it's not like there's anything interesting happening here anymore," Pansy sighed. 

I flicked her a glance of sympathy, knowing things with Theo had been slow for her. "That's not necessarily a bad thing," I muttered.

Daphne hummed and gave me a tight lipped smile. Everyone was tense, things had never been this bad. 

Surrounded in a house of primarily purebloods, I had never gotten so many dirty looks in the past month and I wasn't even a muggle-born. 

I had seen students younger than me being shoved to the floors and hexed left and right. Hogwarts wasn't safe for them anymore either. 

The attack had opened everyone's eyes. Not even the 'safest place in the world' was safe anymore. 

The line had been drawn. You were either with them or you were nothing. 

My stomach clenched painfully and I felt my cheeks flush with anger. I fucking hated the stupid people who brought this about, who brought all this fear and poison into the minds of my peers.  

It had been a month. A month of fear, a month of heavy weight sitting on my shoulders, a month without hearing from Mattheo. 

No letters or patronuses. If I couldn't feel his life in my own, I would think he were dead. 

My connections with people, if strong enough, were like a tether. I could feel them and they could feel me. Not like how it was with Draco that night on the tower. No, nothing like that. 

This tether was the love and life force that I held as proof that I wasn't alone in the world. I knew in my soul that Mattheo was still here. 

The connection I had with Draco that night, is what I can only put up to theory.