꩜ Chapter 15 ꩜

I spent Sunday in my dorm, working on essays and studying for our upcoming tests. I had to get a good mid-year report or I would surely be sent an aggravated letter from my father. 

I was also using work as an excuse to avoid leaving. Outside of this little room were conversations I didn't feel like having. But on Monday I knew I would have to face the crowds and say something to Mattheo.

Or I could just keep avoiding it.

Either way, a sense of turmoil thrived in my stomach at all times leading to Monday, my muscles tight in anticipation. It was not as though anything that bad could happen? Maybe some embarrassment, maybe some rejection, but those were all a part of character building.

I got up earlier than usual and took a shower, taking my time to get dressed and even putting on some light makeup. I wasn't trying to look good, I was trying to take up time.

Pansy was already gone by the time I got out of the bathroom, probably to get some breakfast. I didn't particularly feel like eating so instead I packed my bag and headed for Snape's classroom. 

As I came closer to the door, I heard slight chattering from some of the other early students. But as I looked past the door I was aiming for, I saw Mattheo, walking towards me but seeming like he hadn't seen me yet.

My heart lurched and I started speed walking to try and get in the class, but heard him call out, "Holt!"

"Shit." I ducked inside the door and didn't look behind me. 

Draco gave me a weird look from where he sat in the back corner. Everything else was shoved out of my mind when I saw him.

He looked like actual shit, with even paler skin and dark bags under his eyes. I immediately stormed over and slammed my hands on the desk in front of him.

"Where the fuck have you been Malfoy? We've been worried sick." I stared at him, waiting for an answer but he just shrugged. He just fucking shrugged.

The image of sliding my hands around his neck and squeezing came to mind and it didn't seem like the worst idea right now.

"You have ten seconds to explain where the fuck you have been for the last three days or I swear to God I'm going to fucking turn you into a mouse and let Mrs Norris have you," I spat. He flinched and if possible, got paler.

"Jesus  Christ Holt, calm down. I've been busy." He looked away from me for a second and tipped his head down. 

"Busy? Busy, does not explain you going MIA Draco," I said, pulling my wand out of my pocket. I held it in front of me, not pointing it at him but letting him know it was there. That mouse threat was not entirely empty.

He sighed. "I'm sorry, okay? I'm fine, I swear." Liar.

I felt my stomach twist and I shook my head. "God, Parkinson's going to take a piece of you when she gets here" I said. In almost perfect timing, Pansy, Theo and Blaise walked through the door. As soon as she saw his blonde hair she stormed over, pushing past other students. Theo and Blaise followed behind her. 

"DRACO LUCIUS MALFOY WHERE THE FUCK-" 

"Miss Parkinson, I suggest watching your language if you wish to stay present in this class. Please take a seat," Snape said, cutting her off. If a member of any other house had pulled that, they wouldn't still be in attendance at this school.

The professor stood in front of his desk, watching her as she took a deep breath and sat down at the desk behind Draco. She gave him a pointed glare before completely ignoring him.

"I think I've only seen that kind of anger in my mother before," Blaise whispered to Theo as they took their seats on either side of Draco. I snorted and went to join Pansy, lingering for a second to look at Draco once more. He did look really terrible, as though someone had tried to drain the life out of him and stopped at the last second.