𝙯𝙚𝙧𝙤

When you were younger, you had befriended Jake and, by extension, his two best friends, Quil and Embry.

You had first met Jake on a trip to La Push with your father, who went there to visit an old friend from high school.

The second you and Jake met you clicked,  playing in his backyard as if you had been friends forever, getting into all kinds of trouble that left your clothes covered in dirt and grass stains.

It came as no surprise when Jakes two friends, Quil and Embry, wanted to join in on the fun when they spotted the two of you playing. The duo quickly became a quartet, and you wouldn't have it any other way.

As the four of you grew, so did your feelings for Embry, once you finally recognized them for what they were. You hid them as much as you could, not wanting to ruin the dynamic over your feelings. And it worked for the most part, but eventually Jake and Quil figured you out.

They teased you about it whenever they could, and always tried to push you into confessing your feelings. You refused every time, much to their disappointment. You didn't want to get your hopes up for nothing, and potentially ruin the best friendship you've ever had.

Unfortunately, when the four of you started high school, your get-togethers had started getting farther and farther apart, with homework, extracurriculars and part-time jobs getting in the way. Because of this, you didn't notice the apparently drastic shift in Embry's behaviour, since most of your interactions were through texts nowadays.

Embry was becoming temperamental, would apparently get angry over the tiniest things, with no little to no warning. The first time it happened you didn't want to believe them, but the boys had no reason to lie to you about something like this.

You would get texts from Jake or Quil during class complaining about his newly shortened temper, and you would try to help as much as you could from another city. Texting Embry more, sending him funny videos that you knew he would like. Which they said seemed to help him calm down. But only for a while.

Out of seemingly nowhere, Embry cut ties with the three of you, first claiming that he had mono, and then not responding to anyone at all. The next couple of days after he started avoiding you, Jake and Quil learned what had really happened. There was a group of boys in La Push, small in number, but had just recently gained their newest member in Embry.

Everyone in La Push apparently referred to them as a cult, though you didn't know why at first. Not until you caught sight of Embry and his new crew from a distance. Though he was far away, and his back was to you, you knew without a shadow of a doubt that it was him.

He was taller than before and built to the point that it scared you, a drastic change from what he looked like a week ago. On his shoulder was a tattoo, and even though you couldn't see it well, you knew it matched the ones on the other three guys that he was laughing with.

Jake was also spending time away from you and Quil, doing so with Bella Swan, the new girl at your school that he was also childhood friends with. You couldn't really blame him for wanting to spend time with Bella, the massive crush he had on her was obvious, probably even to Bella herself.

That left Quil, who was probably the most bitter between the two of you, having his best friends abandon him in the span of a week for other people at seemingly the drop of a hat. And as much as you loved Quil, you could only take so much of his complaining before it drove you mad.

Since they were the only real friends you had, you had no one else to hang out with on the weekends. Most of your days were spent alone, your anger building to the point where the only thing you could think of was getting back at them. Even if they had basically forgotten you existed.