VII

Six o'clock came slower than Y/N had wanted, leaving her with too much time to stress over what could happen at that meeting. Y/N got a text from Embry a little past 6 telling her that they are nearly at her house. While slightly agitated that they didn't tell her sooner, it helped to not freak out the entire time she knew they were on the way to get her.

Quickly filling her bag with things she thinks she needs, and other random items just in case, Y/N descends the stairs just as her mother walks into the house, two boxes of pizza in hand and her two brothers arguing loudly behind her. "And where are you running off to?"

"I'm going out with some friends, I shouldn't be out long."

"Friends?" Camden giggled, a huge grin on his face.

"You don't have any friends!" Nolan chimed in, the two of them dissolving into fits of laughter at Y/N's expense. Her face heats up in embarrassment, but movement down the street catches her attention, the light reflecting into her eyes slightly.

"Yeah yeah, laugh it up. If I don't have any friends, then who's that pulling up?" Y/N gestures behind the twins, and they turn to look out the window just as Paul's truck pulls into the driveway, their muscular silhouettes noticeable even from in the house.

With a wave over her shoulder Y/N all but runs out of the house, not wanting to have her mother question her about where she was going and with who. Paul and Embry are talking quietly in the truck, though they stop immediately to watch Y/N when they notice her coming, expressions lighting up noticeably. With a little effort, Y/N climbs into the truck, yanking the door shut behind her as she falls into her seat.

When she's all settled in the back and noticed that they haven't moved yet she looks up to find the boys looking back at her, worried looks on their faces. She shuffles in her seat a little, shrinking back slightly.

"What? What's wrong?"

They look to each other at her question before looking back, and it's Paul who answers her question, though it looks like he wants to do anything but.

"It's Jake, he shifted."

═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══

By the time they got to Sam's house, Y/N was mostly filled in on what happened, seeing as they could hear much of what Jake was thinking through his anger and panic when he shifted.

Apparently, he had gone to the movies with Bella and her friend, "mistake number one," Y/N had muttered under her breath, causing the two wolves the chuckle silently. He was feeling sick and being a 'little wimp' about it, pissing Jake off to the point of almost turning. Thankfully he had subconsciously known something was wrong and immediately went home, then shifted shortly after when his dad questioned him about what happened.

Now more nervous than ever, Y/N shifted in her seat, not want to see Jake after their little argument. The shadows from the trees danced along her face as they drove down the road, distracting her from her inner turmoil enough so that she didn't even notice when they pulled up the Sams house.

"We're here," Paul says, pulling Y/N from her thoughts and drawing her attention to the windshield, where she can see figures moving past the front window. Taking a deep, shaky breath, Y/N pushes the door open and hops out of the truck, nearly losing her footing as she lands awkwardly. "You good?"

"I'm fine, just a bit nervous." Y/N admitted sheepishly, tugging at the bottom of her shirt.

"Don't do that, you'll be fine," Paul pulled her hand away but didn't let go like she thought she would. Instead, he laced their fingers together, pulling her along behind him towards the house. Y/N couldn't help the blush that flushed her cheeks, tightening her hold on Paul's warm hand as he leads her along. Movement from behind caught her attention, and she turned to see Embry walking behind them with Y/N's bag in his hand, staring at their intertwined hands with a dopey grin on his face.

The look left a fluttery feeling in her stomach, one that she always felt around Embry growing up. Sticking her other hand out behind her, she wiggles her fingers towards him, smiling brightly when he took three long strides to reach her side, sliding his hand into hers.

"You're right, I will be fine, 'cuz I have you two."