VI

[Embry]: so, there's a meeting being held tonight, Sam and the others want you to come

That was what greeted Y/N as she walked out of school, shoulders hunched in so she didn't get bumped into as she reread the line of text over again. Y/N quickly looked up to make sure she was walking the right way before going back to her phone.

[Y/N]: why do they want to meet me?

[Paul]: because this is the first time two shifters have imprinted on the same person,

Y/N let out a loud groan, catching the attention of the students walking next to her. Ignoring their confused looks, Y/N followed the walkway to her bus, getting in line behind the boarding students. As she was about to step up onto the bus she could feel her phone vibrate, but ignored it until she got a spot by herself in the back.

[Embry]: I know this is probably still a lot to take in, and very last minute, but it would mean a lot to us if you could come, even for a little while.

The bus rumbled to a start, the last of the students running up to the bus to get on before it left without them. Y/N watched the scrambling kids in silence, trying to work herself up to going. There were more people on the bus than usual, kids crammed into seats with their friends that somehow snuck them past the bus drivers watchful eye.

[Y/N]: okay I'll come, what time do I have to be there for?

[Embry]: me and Paul will get you around 6

[Y/N]: PAUL AND I

[Embry]: shut up Y/N, will you come?

[Y/N]: obviously, just text me when you leave.

[Embry]: you got it

Y/N lets out a quiet sigh, pushing her hair out of her face as it fell forward. When no other messages came through Y/N pulled out her headphones, drowning out the loud, excited chatter coming from the front bus, freshman, from the looks of it. From over the back of the seat in front of her, she can see a guy stand up, pointing aggressively as he no doubt tells them to be quiet.

Their fighting can be slightly heard over the music, though it's still mostly muffled, making most of the words inaudible, but when the bus goes completely silent she looks up only to find that everyone on the bus, including the driver, has turned to look at her, eyes an empty void as they seemed to look right through her. Even their faces seemed to change, no emotion to be found, matched with cold black eyes.

The sudden change startled her so badly she jerked back, elbow digging into the worn cushion behind her as her blood runs cold. Y/N fumbles with her phone to try and turn it off, fingers shaking as she finally manages to do so. When she looks up again, hand halfway up to rip out her headphones, it's like all sound has come back to the bus, the two boys still arguing as if nothing had happened at all. Not one student was looking back at her, all too focused on the fight. With still shaking hands Y/N pulls out her headphones, nerves too frayed to do much else.

What should have been a short ride felt like it took hours, the paranoia taking over Y/N's thoughts the entire ride home. When the bus finally reached her stop she was standing before it could come to a full stop, already halfway down the aisle when it did. The bus driver shot her a dirty look but Y/N could care less, and all but ran out of the bus when the doors opened.

The walk home was a blur, it was as if she took only a couple of steps off the bus before she was at her doorstep, and like she walked miles just to get there. Y/N was closing the front door behind her before she even knew it was open. Dropping her bag onto the floor Y/N quickly made her way to the bathroom, splashing some cold water onto her face as she tried to forget what happened on the bus.

"Get it together, Y/N," Y/N muttered to herself, feeling her heart race as she thought back to the bus, "you're just stressed about tonight, don't be an idiot."

A chill ran down her spine as she turned off the tap, looking into her tired eyes in the mirror, just missing the figure disappear out of her view from the window behind her. With a deep sigh, Y/N pushed open the bathroom door and went up to her room, deciding that she better make a good first impression with the pack in the short amount of time she had left.