XIV

"So, how was patrol last night?" Y/N asks as she climbs into the backseat of the truck. Rain pelts against the roof, water running down the windows in thin ribbons. It warps the silhouettes of the other students running to their cars or the bus, looking more like blurs than actual people.

Y/N shakes herself out of her soaked jacket with a huff, shivering despite the warmth of the truck. She leans forward in her seat so that she could better see the boys, propping her face up with her hands.

"Horrible, Jake ran his mouth the entire time, trying to convince Sam that Bella deserved to know about us," Paul replied with a roll of his eyes, slowly pulling out of the parking spot and out of the lot. He turns to look at Y/N over his shoulder once he's on the road, making Y/N realize just how close she was to him in the small space when their noses nearly bump.

"Did it work?" Y/N got an ugly snort from Embry in response, a laugh bubbling up before she could even think to stop it. When she turned to look at him she found herself in the same predicament, close enough to count the freckles that littered his skin. Her face feels hot, and she wills herself to stay calm, knowing that they'll both know the second somethings off with her.

"No, the only thing he could think of was, 'Bella knows about the leeches, so why not us?'" Embry mocks, pitching his voice to try and sound like Jake, "It doesn't help when Bella calls him all day, makes him want to tell her even more."

Y/N lets out a quiet hum in response, not knowing what else to say. Paul turns to look at her again, seeming to only just realize where she was, "You should probably put your seat-belt on."

"I thought your senses were heightened?" Y/N teases, still not moving from her spot between the boys. He looks offended at the comment, though a playful glare settles on his face when he realizes she was just joking around.

"They are, still doesn't mean one of these dumb-asses won't crash in front of us," Paul gestures to the car in front of them, one that Y/N immediately recognizes as Mike Newton's.

"You two are really warm and I'm cold," Y/N admits under her breath, keeping her eyes firmly on the road and away from the boys. From the corner of her eye, she can see Paul's teasing grin at her admission, "Shut up, Paul."

"I didn't say anything," he exclaims with a laugh, holding a hand up in defence. Rustling from the passenger seat draws Y/N's attention over to Embry, who had just undone his seat belt and was twisting around in his seat. Y/N watches him in amusement as he shoves the backpack that was in his lap to the ground.

"What're you doing?" Y/N asks, shifting back into her seat when Embry sits up from his, "Em?"

He waves her off, manoeuvering his muscular body between the front seats and into the back. The truck isn't big enough for him to move around in, and Y/N tries and fails to stifle her laugh when he hits his head off the roof of the truck.

Paul doesn't bother to hold his in, his laugh loud and deep in the small space. It's cut off immediately by Embry punching him in the shoulder, whipping his head around to glare at Embry. He throws his own punch in response, though Embry must have been expecting it, diving forward into the back seat, narrowly avoiding the swing.

Embry falls heavily into the seat on her right, grinning up at her from his slouched position, "Hi."

"Hi," Y/N laughs, reaching out to brush his dishevelled hair back in place, "what're you doing?"

"You said you were cold," Embry shrugs, moving closer so he could wrap his arm around her waist. He tugs her into the warmth of his body, and Y/N can immediately feel the cold leaving her as she relaxes into his side.