IX

"Are you saying I have a vampire stalker now?" Y/N asks, heart beating rapidly in her chest as she tried to process what was going on. The overwhelming, light-headed feeling comes back, reminding her of the bus ride home not that long ago, but less intense.

"We don't know for sure, and it could just be a coincidence, but we can't be too careful considering the Cullens are the only 'vegan' vampires to have ever existed."

Absently, Y/N can feel her fingers ache from how hard she's gripping Paul's hand, joints protesting at the rough treatment. She doesn't notice the way he runs his thumb lightly over her skin, in a failed attempt to calm her down. Instead, all she can hear is her heart pounding in her ears.

"So now what, I'm on lockdown, I need a babysitter everywhere I go?" Y/N huffs, irrationally angry even though she knows it's for her own safety.

"Would you rather be attacked like that time in the woods?" Embry chimes in, standing closer to Y/N than she had realized. The combined warmth from both of the wolves so close to her has her overwhelmed, and it takes everything in her not to move away from them both, to back up to the door and breathe, "I know you don't like being told what to do, trust me I know. But I would rather not find you drained at the side of the road, or worse, turned into one of those things."

Y/N glares up at Embry, letting go of Paul's hand, that she didn't even know she was still holding and wraps her arms tightly around herself, fingernails digging into her skin. It's a fight she wasn't even planning on winning, especially when she sees how worried Embry is for her well being. So she just nods, earning a pleased, soft smile from Embry. His hand comes up to pull her arms away, a knowing look on his face as his fingers trace over the crescent marks left on her skin.

"Thank you," Embry murmurs, giving her a light squeeze before letting her go and taking a step back, "you can still do what you've been doing before, that doesn't change-"

"Like she has a life outside of you anyways," Jake mutters from the couch, and though Emery's face contorts in frustration and Paul visibly tenses next to Y/N, he continues as if Jake never spoke.

"Just make sure you let Paul or me know before you go out, so we can be just around the corner." It's difficult to agree to those simple rules, even though Y/N knows that any other person wouldn't have a problem with it. Y/N bites back the retort burning at the tip of her tongue. Instead, she just nods, wrapping her arms back around herself and turning her probably bitter look back to Sam.

"Is that all I need to know?"

"For now, yes. I know this is the last thing you want, but just make sure to be aware of your surroundings at all times. It doesn't hurt to be a little paranoid."

Yn nodded, casting a quick glance around the room. Though she knew how serious the situation was, seeing the once joyful looks on Kim and Jarred turned grim and sour made her uneasy. Even Jake, pouting alone and acting bitter still looked concerned, "Was that everything? Can I go home now?"

The pitying look everyone was giving her was making her skin crawl, but Y/N made sure to not let her eyes waver from Sams, trying desperately to hide her fear.

"No-"

"Of course sweetie," Emily cut in, shooting Sam a pointed look. "You must have lots of homework, the boys never stop complaining about how much they have to do every day before their patrols."

Y/N was grateful for what Emily was trying to do, trying to make it look like she wasn't having a meltdown and giving her an out. It didn't help that Y/N was still trying to get used to the fact that her childhood friends could turn into wolves and that she was basically mated to two. Now, she had to get used to the fact that an entire vampire coven used to go to school with her, and two rogue vampires were probably trying to kill her, brought here by the Cullens.