𝙚𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩

Your eyes are glued to the windows, constantly scanning the tree line to catch another glimpse of those glowing red eyes. Whoever it was was too covered in shadow to make anything out, but you could tell they had a fair completion. Which wasn't saying much in a town like yours, but it did rule out enough people.

With shaking hands you pull out your phone, ignoring the teasing comments Embry left to send them a panicked warning of what you had seen.

[𝚝𝚘 𝙶𝚛𝚘𝚞𝚙]:  I don't know if I'm going crazy or not, but I saw red eyes in the woods on my way home. I couldn't see a face, so I don't know if it's the red-headed leech or not.

You keep the phone clutched tight in your hand the entire trip home, anxiously waiting for a reply back from either of your boys. The phone stays silent past every stop, no messages coming through on your paranoia filled walk home. Every rustle off bushes has you jumping, heart hammering in your chest as you quicken your pace.

You're nearly home when you're neighbour calls out to you.

"Are you alright sweetheart?" Candice calls, putting her paintbrush into the bucket at her feet. The garage door had a fresh coat of white paint, though it's barely noticeable since the sun is shining from behind her house.

You turn to her slowly, relieved that you're not alone, even if its the neighbourhood gossip as your only option. Her long blond hair is pulled into a high ponytail, showing off her angular face and bright blue eyes. You debate if you should walk across the street to her house, but then you remember those red eyes and move up the driveway to be with someone familiar.

"I'm okay, just a rough day at school," You reply, getting a sympathetic smile in response.

"The work they give you kids these days," Candice shakes her head at the thought, and the action makes her look older than she really was, "My niece is always doing school work when I see her, never has time to play with her friends anymore."

"I didn't know you had a niece," You say, hands starting to sweat around the tight grip you have on your phone. You resists the urge to check it, since Candice seems to have an old soul, and you don't want to offend her.

"Yes, my older sister's kid. Probably in middle school by now. Its been a while since I've seen her," You nod along absently, itching to check your phone the longer Candice talks, "Are you sure you're okay? You don't look very well."

Candice reaches up to press the back of her hand against your forehead. Her fingers are ice cold against your skin, causing a shiver to rack through your body. The touch causes you to jerk back in surprise, nearly tripping over your feet just to get away. Candice doesn't say anything, just gives you a too calm smile as you regain your footing.

"You probably have lots of work to do," Candice starts, not letting you respond as she continues, "You should probably go sit down, you look like you're about to fall over any second. If you need anything, I'll be around, I still have to paint my front door, and I haven't even finished with the garage yet."

You can only bring yourself to nod, turning quickly on your heels and walking as fast as you can across the street and to your house. You're surprised you can get your phone into your pocket with how hard they shake, your now free hands digging into your bag for the house keys.

Thankfully, nobody's home to see how panicked you are as you all but fling the front door open. You have it closed and locked faster then you thought possible, hand stretching up and hovering over the deadbolt above your head.

All you can hear is your own loud breathing, her heart pounding so hard it hurt. After a second you reluctantly bring your hand down, knowing your family would be home soon and would have to get into the house at some point.