The Mark of the Nimueh 2: The Search

Arthur's POV:

          Guards stormed the town in search of the cause of the unknown virus. Yet there was not a trace of it anywhere. House after house, room after room, yet we came up with nothing. The guards and I made our way back to the castle, searching there as well. We made it to the physician's quarters entering the room without knocking. Surprising not only the physician but his helper as well.

"Sorry, Gaius. We're searching every room in town," I explained as I made my way into the room.

"What for," Gaius asked curiously.

"The sorcerer," I stated calmly, searching to cupboards, yet coming up dry.

"And why would he be here," the physician asked calmly.

"I'm just doing my job," I blatantly stated.  

"Well, we have nothing to hide. Go on then, search," the physician insisted. I gave him a kind nod before ushering the guards to continue searching. We scurried through the place, searching through books and herbs. I then found an odd-looking book sitting on the physician's table.

"What are these books and papers," I asked kindly.

"My life's work--- Dedicated to the understanding of science,"  Gaius explained softly. "You are quite welcome to read through them if you wish."

I shook my head, gently placing the book back down on the table before continuing my search. I then searched the shelves, that held a large variety of books and vials. Yet nothing threatening caught my eye. I then spotted the small wooden door that sat on the opposite side of the room.

"What's this room up here," I asked softly.

"It's mine," Merlin, Gaius's current helper, spoke up.

"And what do you expect to find in there," Gaius asked.

"I'm looking for material or evidence suggesting the use of enchantments," I explained. Making my way over the door. I opened it, finding the room a complete mess, expecting my servant's room to be clean. The bed was unmade, the blankets, thrown on the floor. Papers littered the stone floor, as well as a large book that sat next to the bed. A large spider web hung in the corner of the room, its thin strands glistening in the sunlight of the small window in the room. A small cupboard hung on the wall, I pulled it open finding it empty.

"Merlin, come here," I called for my scrawny servant. "Look what I found."

The black-haired boy came running into the room, his eyes full of fear.

"I found a place where you can put things. It's called a cupboard," I stated, closing the small, empty compartment, and making my way out of the room. I walked up to the old physician, towering over him.

"Find anything sire," He asked softly. I shook my head no.

"How long do you think it may be before you find a cure," I asked sternly.

"Depends on how many interruptions I get," He stated blatantly.

"Of course. I'm sorry," I apologized. I turned to face the guards, who stood patiently, awaiting their orders. "We're finished here."

                                                                     * ^ * ^ * ^ * ^ *

          I hastily made my way to the throne room where my father was anxiously waiting for my return with news of the spreading plague. Since the disease started, over 49 people have passed. Their bodies were found the same way the first two were. Skin completely blue, the eyes glassed over and staring at nothing. Families have been forced to separate from their ill loved ones. Those with the disease were taken to a containment area, where they were monitored. I reached the throne room, finding my father pacing back and forth.