The Gates of Avalon 8: It Wasn't You

Merlin's POV:

          I awakened, peeling my eyes open slowly. My head was pounding wildly. My body ached, even slight movements caused searing jolts of pain. I let my eyes adjust to the bright light of Arthur's chambers. I scanned the room, the corners of my vision blurry. Arthur was nowhere in sight, nor were Sophia or Aulfric. My eyes land on a limp hand wrapped in red fabric lying against the cold stone floor. My eyes continue to wander, scanning the person who lay mere feet away from me. She lay unmoving, her hair lying wildly around her, portions of it covering her face.

"Elizabeth," I groaned, my voice barely above a whisper. With all the strength I could muster, I  rose from my place on the ground and stumbled over to my fallen sister. I kneeled at her side, taking in her appearance, my eyes landing on the red handprints forming on her neck. I quickly placed my head against her chest, sighing with relief when I heard her heartbeat. I gently shook her, being careful not to hurt her. "Elizabeth?"

            She stirred, groaning in pain as her hands reached to grasp her head. I watched as her eyes fluttered open, her hazel eyes landing on me. A smile spreads across her face when her eyes meet mine. Yet, that smile was short-lived, as her face fell in fear. 

"Arthur," She stuttered, her voice hoarse.

"Merlin...Elizabeth...," came a concerned voice. I turned to the door, spotting Gaius. He rushed in, coming to crouch beside me. "What happened to you two?"

"We must find Arthur," Elizabeth spoke, rising to her feet. I followed after her, both of us stumbling slightly. 

"You can't," Gaius stated sharply. "Not in this state. You both owe it to your powers that you survived this at all!"

"We'll be fine. He needs us," Elizabeth slurred.

"We have to go Gaius. He'll die if we don't," Merlin breathed. Gaius sighed, knowing that there was no way he was going to change our minds.

"The Sidhe are vicious people," he stated. "You must be careful."

"Don't worry," I said, smiling happily. "We will be."

^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^

Elizabeth's POV:

            I followed Merlin as he guided me through the forest. Both of us ran as fast as we could in hopes of saving Arthur in time. I stumbled every now and again, growing frustrated, wishing I had changed out of my gown. Merlin was also having trouble, tripping over tree roots. Arthur and Sophia stood in the lake, the water reaching up to their knees. Fury coursed through my veins as I watch Sophia tilt her head up to Arthur, capturing his lips with hers. Her father stood on the shoreline, chanting a spell loudly. 

"Incarte- mono- elclises- encarta," he finished, his voice booming. The moment the last word escaped his lips, Arthur's eyes rolled back into his head, his body falling back into the water.

"No," I yelled, grabbing Sophia and Aulfric's attention.

"Umbreaka," Merlin whispered from beside me. Aulfric's staff levitated from the ground and flew towards my brother, who caught it gracefully. He then pointed it at Aulfric, sending electric jolts towards him. The electricity envelops Aulfric's body, causing the old man to scream in pain as his body evaporates into the air.

"Father," Sophia yells, trudging through the water in an attempt to reach where her father once stood. Yet she never made it out of the water. Merlin pointed the staff towards her, causing her to receive the same brutal fate her father did.