The Gates of Avalon 7: Blood Red Eyes

Elizabeth's POV:

            I woke this morning alone in bed, the place where Arthur once lay was empty. The only thing there now was a note reading, "I am out giving Sophia a tour of the kingdom. I shall return shortly".   I sat next to Uther now, in the throne room. Arthur had called an audience with his father when he returned from showing Sophia the kingdom, saying that it was urgent. He stood before us now, his eyes staring blankly ahead of him.

"I requested this audience, Father, to discuss a matter of great importance," he stated seriously. "It could not have escaped your attention that I and Lady Sophia Tirmawr have grown very close."

"Not too close, I hope," Uther said with a smile, glancing at me briefly. I watched as Arthur intertwined his hand with Sophia's.

"We're in love," Arthur stated, his face expressionless.

"W-what," I stuttered, my heart breaking at his words. I felt tears begin to pool in my eyes.

"Which is why I come before you today. To ask your permission to marry," He continued. I let the tears escape, a whimper escaping my lips at his words. My mind wandered to last night, remembering how he comforted me. How he listened as I poured my heart out to him. Yet, here he stood, his eyes never glancing in my direction.

"I assume you're joking," Uther stated, seeming just as confused as I was.

"No," he replied blatantly. "I am going to marry her."

"But you only met two days ago," Uther stated, shaking his head in disbelief. "And you've only spent time together today."

"We're in love," Arthur stated, yet his words seemed almost unbelievable. 

"In love," Uther repeated. He then looked at me, taking in my broken expression. "Arthur... stop this ridiculousness. You're being cruel."

"I'm going to marry her," he continued, ignoring his father's words. "I don't care what either of you thinks about it."

"I thought you'd come to ask my permission," Uther said, his eyebrows knitting together in confusion.

"Out of courtesy, nothing more," Arthur replied coldly. He then turned his back on us, taking hold of Sophia's hand and walking out of the throne room. 

            I sat there, watching as he left. I was unable to move, let alone breathe. My heart was pounding wildly. I did not understand. How could he be so kind and compassionate last night, then stand before me and not give me a single glance? Uther noticed my discomfort, taking hold of my hand that rested on the armrest of my throne.

"Elizabeth," he called, his voice soft. "Darling. I promise you there is nothing going on between the two of them. The only explanation I have for my son's behavior is that he has to have fallen ill."

"He seems fine to me," I whispered. I pulled my hand from Uther's, rising from my seat, and hurriedly rushed out of the throne room, holding the skirt of my dress as I ran.

"Elizabeth," came my brother's voice from behind me. I heard his fast footsteps following after me, yet I did not slow down. "Elizabeth, please wait."

"Leave me alone, Merlin," I pleaded, letting go of my skirt briefly to wipe the tears from my face. Yet, by doing so, I cause myself to trip over the long fabric, falling down on the floor. I whimper in pain, raising my hands before me, realizing that I had scrapped my hands on the stone floor.

"Elizabeth," Merlin gasped in worry. He came to crotched beside me, taking my hands in his and inspecting the damage.

"Why," I whimpered, watching as my brother tore off two strips from his shirt, wrapping them around my bleeding hands. "Why would he do this to me."