A Remedy to Cure All Illnesses

Elizabeth's POV:

             I sat in my chambers in front of the fireplace, reading a story to little Amelia who sat on the floor before me. She listened intently as I read of a prince rescuing a princess from an evil dragon, her eyes filling with wonder. Ever since the death of the griffin, Amelia has seemed to relax, making herself at home here in the kingdom, referring to me as her motherly figure, and referring to Arthur as her father figure. So, that is how we were to her, like loving parents, replacing the ones she lost, who were gone, but not forgotten. My chamber doors opened, allowing Gwen to enter, a vase full of lilies held in her arms.

"Look what's just arrived for you," She spoke, placing the lilies on the table by my chair.

"Who are they from," I asked, inspecting the white flowers in search of a note. One that would inform me who had sent them.

"I don't know," she said with a beaming smile. "Maybe Arthur."

"How sweet," I said, smiling at the idea of Arthur leaving me such a beautiful gift. Amelia giggled softly from her seat on the floor.

"What is so fun," I asked curiously, she smiled.

"Arthur fancies you," She says, her words slurred together, seeing as she was only three.

"He does," I asked, sounding surprised. She nodded furiously, causing me to chuckle. "Hm, I never noticed."

            I looked over toward the window, startled by how dark it is outside. It had seemed as though I had lost track of time, so focused on reading the story to Ellie that I had not even noticed that it was past her bedtime.

"Oh my," I said, grabbing the cloth handkerchief I was using as a bookmark and placing it in between the pages of the book. "It is extremely late. Time for bed missy."

            Amelia's beaming smile turns into a frown at the word "bed". She crosses her arms in front of her pouting.

"Now, now, none of that. I will read you the rest tomorrow night," I said softly. "Gwen, could you please take Amelia to bed?"

            Gwen nodded, lifting Amelia from her spot on the floor and leaving my chambers. Taking the little girl to hers, which the king had kindly had the servants make up for her, seeing the girl as a granddaughter. I yawned, rising from my seat and making my way over to my closet. I got dressed into my nightgown, my eyes catching the bouquet of flowers on the chair side table. I went over and grabbed them, moving them to my bedside table. With that, I climbed into the silk sheets of my bed, letting my head rest gently on the pillow. And before closing my eyes, I took one last admiring look and the flowers, falling asleep with a smile on my face.

^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^

Arthur's POV:

            I was awakened by a bone-chilling scream, one that caused me to shoot straight up in my bed. I quickly got dressed before leaving my chambers in search of the cause of the commotion, yet I was surprised when I didn't have to go far. For there, just a few feet down the hall crowded around Elizabeth's door were Morgana, Gwen, little Amelia, and Merlin. What concerned me was that there was no sight of Elizabeth among the group. Gwen was clutching at Merlin's shirt, crying. Amelia had her arms wrapped around Morgana's leg, sniffling. Two guards stood on either side of the large wooden door, which was slightly ajar. I approached the group cautiously, fearing what I was about to be told.

"What is wrong," I asked softly, but no one replied. "Well, spit it out."

            Yet, just like before, everyone stayed silent. No one dared to look me in the eyes, scared to show their emotions. So instead they kept their gaze on the ground. I then looked at little Amelia, who was looking up at me with tear-filled eyes.