Mark of the Nimueh 4: Up in Flames

Elizabeth's POV:

          I woke up with a start, not remembering ever falling asleep in the first place. I had fallen asleep with my head resting on my table. When I lifted my head the whole room automatically started spinning. Black spots clouded my vision momentarily, before clearing. I shakily stood from my seat at the table, pushing aside the dizziness. I could feel the effects of drinking the water yesterday start to take its toll. But I pushed it down, not allowing anyone to see that I am weak. I was pulled out of my thoughts by loud footsteps coming from down the hall. I made my way to the door and opened it. There stood Arthur and Merlin, their eyes finding mine.

"Where are you going," I asked softly.

"To kill the cause of the virus," Merlin spoke up. Arthur elbowed him, a quiet grumble escaping his lips.

"I'm coming with you," I stated walking back into my room to get changed.

"What? Ellie, no," Arthur exclaimed, following me into my chambers. "Elizabeth I'm not going to protect you and kill the virus."

"Who said I needed protection," I fired back, causing the blonde prince to roll his eyes. "Arthur, I want to help. Gwen is my friend, she needs me."

Arthur nods in understanding, allowing an awkward silence to form between us.

"Fine," He stated, throwing his head back in defeat. "You can come."

"Oh I was planning on coming even without your permission, but good," I stated. "Now get out so I can change."

Arthur nodded, walking out and leaving me to ready myself.

                                                                       ^ * ^ * ^ * ^ * ^

          I finished off the look by pulling my hair out of my face in a braid. Strands falling out here and there. I took hold of my bow that rested against my dresser, as well as my sword, placing it on my hip. I then took off towards the door, stopping for a brief moment as my heart started racing, my breathing coming out in short gasps. I regained myself after a brief moment before exiting the door. Standing right outside were Arthur and Merlin, the same way I had left them just minutes before.

"Ready," I asked the boys. They both nodded. "Then let's go."

          So we head out, leaving the protective walls of the kingdom and traveling to the water cavern that is just outside the kingdom. It was hidden by overgrown vines that blocked the doorway, making it undetectable by the un-keen eye. We stopped in front of the cavern, preparing ourselves for what lay ahead. Arthur took hold of his sword that sat on his hip, preparing himself for any attack. I began to do the same before stumbling back, my sword dropping from my grasp, landing on the carpet of leaves that sat beneath our feet. I took hold of my chest, clutching it as a rush of pain overtakes me. I looked up to find Arthur and Merlin's eyes fixed on my weak form.