Chapter 224

Do you think Miles would ever write a poem for Madison? and if so, what would the poem say?

I look into the mirror and my face looks flawless. My makeup is brushed into my skin so perfectly that it looks as if I was born with it. Stephanie is trying to contain laughter and when looking at her she tells me why, "You know how Miles is a bad boy?" She asks with a giggle and nod.

"Well . . ."She moves to behind me so we can both see me through the mirror.

"Now you're a bad girl." She says and I can't help but let a smile play on my lips, I've never felt like a bad girl or a bad person, but I know how Miles is, and knowing that tonight, I don't have to care, not tonight, any other night but tonight I can care but right now, this is going to be my night.

"Here." I was going to wear it tonight, but I think you need it more. She hands me a pair of black heels that match the short dress she's handing me.

"You can't wear a bra though." She says and I bite my lip and close my eyes.

"I—" She stops me.

"You promised." She stares me in the eye.

"Okay," I tell her calmly and she smiles.

"I know this dress is revealing, but you need this, you need to know what happens." She explains and nods. She has been right all day and she's right now.

"Okay," I say again with a small smile and she nods. I gesture for her to turn around and she rolls her eyes with a giggle before doing so.

"You know you're dating the most sexually active guy at school and you're afraid of letting me see?" She chuckles and then her laugher stops.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean—" She turns around but thankfully I'm dressed. Her eyebrows raise.

"No, it's okay, he can do what he wants, we're not together anymore and tonight, I'm more single than ever," I repeat Stephanie's words and she smiles proudly.

"Yeah, you are."

"Any boy will need to glue themselves off you, including Miles, but don't let him come close." She says with serious eyes. I giggle, I don't know how to react, my stomach is full of butterflies at the simple thought of seeing Miles at the party, but I need to get rid of all of those feelings.

"Here, chug this." Stephanie hands me the small shott glass I still haven't even dipped my tongue into. I smile at her and smile, despite the cringy words of chugging the liquid. I don't like the party talk that everyone seems to be following but tonight, I need to be open for everything.

"Get someone to drive you, I'll see ya at the party!" Stephane squeals and then before I can even form a thought, she's gone.

I take a deep breath, feeling even more uncertain about the whole thing now. 

I secure the thin straps of Stephanie's black heels on my ankle before taking one more look at my dress. The straps are so thin, complementing my shoulders and collarbones. 

I would have much rather wear something underneath, but Stephanie's plans of making me feel good tonight have to come first. 

The bottom of the dress is slightly puffy and it's the perfect blend of tight and loose. As I look at my collarbones I can't seem to get Mils's tattoos out of my head, the way his skin seems to be built for them, a canvas for the ink. I wouldn't be able to see Miles without them, not now that this is the only way I know him.

I glance at the resin rose Jace gave me and I can't help but think about the simple life I had back then and then my mind goes to Jacob's vase, the flower detailing sealed in thick glass. I bite the insides of my cheeks, trying not to think about how horrible Miles is to put him into a coma, whether it was for me or not. I'm tired of our endless fights, I'm tired of everything related to him.

I take one last breath of the dorm room's perfumed air and walk out of the dorm. Stephanie is long gone and there isn't a trace of her or anyone in the hallway.

I can't believe I agreed to do this for Stephanie. But I also can't believe I'm smiling right now, I have a best friend that knows me better than I know myself. I swim around the building, trying to find the wooden door I'm looking for. I spot three guys laughing with red cups in their hands. I didn't know the school would allow drinking in the halls but somehow they're getting away with it.

"Hey, you." One of them looks at me and I turn around to his brown eyes familiar, just like Stephanie's.

"You're hot." He says and then the three of them burst into laughter and attempt to cover their slurrs and pink cheeks. I feel my own cheeks turning warmer and II can't help but like the feeling. Maybe meeting someone new and trying new things, isn't such a bad idea tonight.

I finally find the door in another dorm building and my nerves start o churn inside my stomach.

"Cody." I smile.

"Will you take me to the dance?" I ask slowly.

"Madison, Woah . . . I—" His eyes wander all around me, and then all of a sudden she shoots into coughing.

"Jace," I say confused, seeing Jace walk toward the door from behind him. Both of them are more than ready for the party tonight. Why would Jace not tell me he was here? Did Jace hear me? I can't help but bite my lip, being in his situation is more than I expected when I knocked on Cody's door.

"Madison." Jace smiles, I miss his smile. Oh god, I miss him.

"I mean I had a date but—" Cody starts through his coughing.

"I'll go with you." Jace jumps in and Cody recovers.

"I'll cancel." Cody smiles and I can't help but smile back.

"I'll gladly have you both take me," I tell them. Jace smiles while Cody raises his brows and licks his lips.

"Take you, Madison." He says, more to himself than me. 

Jace looks just as confused as I am and I can't help but let a few giggles escape my lips. Stephanie's plan is going well so far.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you I was here, I . . . I wanted to surprise you." Jace's lips say, but they're not telling the truth. I smile at both of them, I don't need problems tonight, all I need is myself.