i.

"Mmm fish."

The girl threw her head back, her heavy laughter floating up into the clouds.

She grabbed the bucket from JJ and set it down next to her and proceeded to pull out a small eight-ounce bottle of liquid, rubbing it into her hands furiously.

"You know how I feel when fish guts touch me," She breathed out, stuffing the small bottle back into the top pocket of her shorts.

JJ furrowed his brows, slid next to her on the bench and lifted her hands up to his face. He immediately gagged and stood up, accidentally knocking over the bucket full of guts.

"Cassiopeia, that liquid death in your pocket is by far worse than the fish."

She shook her head, "that liquid death is a life saver when it comes to dead fish."

She rolled her sleeves up and knelt on the ground, wrinkling her nose as she began to grab a fish.

"Whoa, I got it," JJ pushed her slightly, "my fault to begin with."

She looked over at him and nodded, "You sure are an odd one Maybanks." She stood up, dusted off her hands before knocking JJ's hat playfully to the ground.

He chuckled, "Ah, so you want to start something then?" His blue eyes lit up in the sun and he reached for the toothpick between his teeth.

She flashed a smile so wide and her chest grew tight, "You know I'm not one to turn down a challenge."

JJ smirked, striding over to her in the hot summer sun, "Then come tonight," he breathed out, "stop letting me down."

A mixture of humidity, sweat and sweet cinnamon rolled over her face. Her upper lip trembled as his scent infiltrated her lungs. Her hazel eyes matched his blue before she let out a sigh.

"You know I can't."

"I know you can."

"JJ, I-."

"Hey JJ!" A distant voice called out.

"I want you there," He mumbled inaudibly before placing a hand on her waist, "make that a need."

She nodded slowly and began to chew on the inside of her cheek. He flashed her a smile or perhaps it was a smirk before gliding his fingertips over her belt loops and pulled away. She closed her eyes tight, the area of skin still burning from his touch. JJ wrapped an arm around Pope, talking to him excitedly.

"You are coming Heyward."

Pope scoffed, "You really think I wouldn't go? What kind of friend would I be?"

JJ shrugged, "The same one that Cassiopeia is being."

Her eyes shot open and she smiled at the two weakly, "Sorry."

"Hold up," Pope pulled away from JJ, "you aren't coming tonight?"

She smoothed out a wrinkle in her shorts before speaking, "I don't think Kie or Sarah want me there."

JJ shook his head, "You're wrong."

"Of course, she's wrong," Pope chimed in before turning to her, "they find you, eclectic-like."

She cocked her head to the side, "You mean weird?"

"Definitely not what I meant," Pope walked up to her, "They know you're a childhood friend visiting the OBX, you haven't been here in years, of course you aren't going to act how they are."

She brushed a dark brown strand away from her face and nodded, but Pope touched her hand gently, "Seriously C, it will be just like old times, you'll fit in like you always have."