xxvii.

The scent of salt water and crisp island air made her eyes delicately flutter open. Cassiopeia's hair was sprawled out above her head, the ends slightly damp from the rising tide. Her body had molded into the cool sand, forming an intricate fossil. She lifted her neck up slightly, instantly wincing in pain. She feebly wiped her shaky forearm across her face, her body breaking out into a cold sweat. She looked up at her arm, realizing that she wasn't wiping away sweat but rather blood. Her bottom lip trembled furiously as her arm fell to her side. She attempted to open her mouth to yell for someone, but couldn't form coherent words. All her body's senses were reacting at once, the pain rushing through every crevice.

If she laid there all night, she would die.

Cassiopeia sucked in a deep breath and used all her remaining strength to push her body up on her elbows, her lip splitting from biting down so hard as she tried not to scream. In the distance, she saw two figures running towards her. Her arms gave way and she fell back into her sand cocoon, gasping for breath.

It seemed like centuries later that the two figures got to her. Her body was trembling from the shock, the gusting wind not helping much either.

The one figure leaned down next to her, his finger swiping across her bottom lip to capture any remaining traces of blood.

"Cassiopeia," The familiar aroma of spearmint and heavy tobacco permeated her nostrils. She darted her eyes to get a look at him, immediately regretting that she did.

His eyes were blood shot and his jaw was slack. Under his left eye was a deep cut in the shape of a half moon. His hair was slicked with grease and refused to stay put, the strands covering the majority of his eyes. His shirt was torn at the collar, and splashes of blood decorated his gray polo like polka dots.

"Cassiopeia," He repeated as he took off his jacket and pressed the article of clothing on her forehead, making her groan.

"Topper," He yelled as the shorter blonde boy ran up to them, "I don't know man, she's bleeding again, we need to take her."

"We can't," Topper spoke firmly, although he looked frazzled to the core, "They'll recognize her from the sketch."

"I can't have her die out here," Rafe's voice cracked slightly, "I would never forgive myself."

"Kelce will be here soon, he'll clean her wounds."

Rafe scoffed, "She needs a doctor, not your boyfriend."

Cassiopeia's eyes widened at Rafe's comment, silently wondering whether or not it was true.

Topper buried his head in one of his hands, shaking his head disapprovingly, "Why did you let her take the list?"

Rafe stood up, shoving his finger in Topper's chest, "I was out of my fucking mind," He spoke through gritted teeth.

Topper not backing down, moved closer to the boy, "Your carelessness could cost her, her life."

"Fuck, I know that Topper, I fucking know that!" Rafe shouted, shoving the boy harshly into the sand.

"Just calm down," Topper breathed out, rising to his feet, "We can fix this."

Rafe's head was buried into his hands, "I need to get out of here, she can't see me like this. I can't be held responsible for her death."

"Hey," Topper placed his hands on either side of Rafe's shoulders, "You can't run away when things get hard. You need to be here for her."

Rafe continued to shake his head, "Just tell her I'm sorry," He mumbled, pushing Topper away as he started to walk in the opposite direction.

"Rafe," Cassiopeia called out faintly, watching as the boy stopped in his tracks.