xxii.

With her arms laced tightly around Rafe's waist, she rested her chin on his protruding shoulder blade. He zigzagged along the backroads, knowing no island native took them at night. The moon had reached its full capacity and hung over them like a baby mobile dangling above a crib. Cassiopeia felt herself grow weak, and although her body was fighting it, her eyes succumbed to the burning sensation, and she fluttered them shut, leaning limp against the boy.

She awoke to Rafe yanking the brake lever back. Her nose smashed into his spine and she groaned in pain. She dug her nails into his sides in response and a low groan escaped his throat.

"Cassiopeia, what the fuck," He hissed, turning off the motorcycle.

She sat up and clutched her nose in agony, "No, why the fuck are you driving like that for."

He chuckled and slipped off the motorcycle, towering over her.

"Wanted to get your attention."

She rolled her eyes and stumbled off the bike, "Well trust me, you got it."

Cassiopeia held her nose as her eyes adjusted to the darkness.

"Where are we?" She looked disoriented scanning the area.

"My house," Rafe paused to look at her, "You've been here before."

"Right," She recalled the day when he threw her into the water.

"C'mon," He extended his arm out for her to interlock her fingers into his.

"Isn't Sarah here?" Cassiopeia asked nervously, taking his hand hesitantly.

"She's not a Cameron anymore," Rafe mumbled, guiding them through the darkness.

Cassiopeia ignored his comment and kept close to him, "I'm serious Rafe," She breathed out, feeling the prickers of a nearby bush brush against her body.

"Cassiopeia," He drawled out, making her stomach do tiny somersaults, "She chose John B, that explains enough. She's never here."

The Cameron's yard was lit up by mushroom shaped solar lights that were scattered across the richly green front yard. The house stood as a literal force field in the dark, dozens of lights illuminated the egg shell colored house.

His rugged hand shielded hers entirely. His calloused thumb rubbed smooth circles over the back of her back hand. His pointer finger slipped inside of her palm and he turned to look at her.

Her eyes caught his, and in the shadow of the security lights, she sensed something different looming over him.

"What?" She breathed out.

"Still digging your nails into your palms I see," He whispered, running his finger over the scabbed indents in her skin.

"That's none of your business," She spoke defensively.

He chuckled lowly, "Everything you do is my business."

Cassiopeia let out a small sigh in response and watched Rafe intently as he knelt down near the back door and searched for something in the dirt.

She studied his look of concentration, his tongue slightly sticking out in thought. Finally, she noticed him pulling a string from the ground with a tiny, dirty bronze key swinging at the bottom.

"Is anyone here?" Cassiopeia squeaked as he unlocked the door.

"Duh," He mumbled, the door popping open.

"So why are we here?" She asked frantically, peering inside.

"Relax Pogue," He whispered under his breath, "Dad's gone on a trip, Wheezie is in her room probably on her phone and Rose is most likely asleep, she's too stupid to know how to work the alarm anyways."