xxviii.

She couldn't tell what was louder, her raging heartbeat or the piercing ringing that filled her eardrums. The mobile home remained dark besides the occasional flash of light from the TV. Rafe stood still, facing her directly. His eyes showed no forgiveness or remorse for the body that laid in front of him. Instead his gaze was fixated on her, scanning her brain for the words she couldn't speak. The voice inside her demanded her to do something,  anything for that matter, but her body was paralyzed. A knock at the door interrupted her thoughts as she jumped to the side.

Hesitantly, she creaked the door open to see Topper standing at the bottom of the stairs.

"You've been more than ten minutes," He reminded her.

"Oh shit," She breathed out shakily, nervously twirling her hair, "I'm sorry, I got caught up with Rafe."

Topper narrowed his eyes at her, "Are you alright? Smells like something died in there."

"Barry hasn't done the dishes," The words tumbling out of her mouth instantly, "In quite a while."

"Okay," Topper nodded slowly, "Well do you need a ride back?"

She shook her head furiously, "No, he'll take me home."

Topper half-smiled, "We'll come back in the morning to check on you."

"Oh no, no, you don't have to, I'll meet you at your beach house."

Topper raised an eyebrow but waved her off nonetheless, "Make sure you guys put out the fire."

Cassiopeia nodded and watched anxiously as Topper walked away. She shut the door quickly behind her and turned to see Rafe nearly flush against her.

"I can explain."

Cassiopeia's eyes shot down at Barry's lifeless body, "Can you?" She managed out, "Because if I were you I couldn't."

"I didn't have a choice."

Cassiopeia scoffed loudly, her body visibly trembling, "You chose to kill someone."

"You're missing the point Cassiopeia."

"Am I?" She shouted suddenly, gesturing towards Barry, "Did he miss the point too?"

"He was going to hurt you."

"Bullshit, he would've done it already if he wanted to."

"Cassiopeia, that kid stole my whole stash."

She shook her head in disbelief before spotting the bag sitting on the table, "Well you have it back so what's your excuse?"

"Just the bag, not everything else."

Cassiopeia eyed Rafe, "Where did you find the bag?"

She was met with silence as the boy rubbed his temples in slow circular motions.

"Rafe," She breathed out, realization hitting her, "Where is the boy?"

Silence.

"Rafe!" She yelled, "Answer me."

He slammed his fist down on the table, "I did what I needed to do to protect you."

Cassiopeia's eyes went wide as her gaze shifted to the raging fire outside, realization hitting her like an oncoming train.

She rushed towards the counter and hurled into the sink, her vomit covering the pile of dirty dishes.

"You understand, right? Why I did it? You were in trouble, and, I was protecting you."

Cassiopeia choked on her spit, "He was a child."

"Who was a junkie."

"That doesn't matter."