vi.

Sheriff Shoupe and another squad car already had their lights on when JJ and Cassiopeia pulled up. JJ hopped off the boat and she followed hurriedly behind him, "JJ!" She yelled scrambling off the steps and running right into Rafe.

She groaned lowly and looked up at him to find that his eyes were already fixated on her.

"What the fuck is he doing here?" JJ yelled, shoving a finger into Shoupe's chest.

"Step back kid, he was the one who called us," Shoupe pushed JJ lightly away as the blonde-haired boy retaliated and grabbed Cassiopeia's wrist, "Stay the fuck away from her," He spat out and moved her to the side, getting right into Rafe's face.

The taller boy chuckled, "I did you a favor," he smiled.

"Did you have something to do with this?" JJ pointed over by the cop cars, "What the fuck did you do Rafe?"

"Like I said I did you favor," He mumbled, "but your little pets weren't as lucky."

JJ's eyes widened and he ran past the cops and into closed off area. Cassiopeia began to rush after him but was pulled suddenly back by Rafe.

"You stay here," He breathed in her ear. She struggled against his grip and fell limp as she heard JJ scream.

"They are all slaughtered," He exhaled, clutching his chest and falling to the ground. Cassiopeia kicked at Rafe's shins, "Let me go psycho," She yelped which only caused him to tighten his grip. Shoupe went to go comfort JJ but the boy pushed him away.

"He killed them,"JJ mumbled under his breath.

"What was that?" Shoupe leaned closer trying to hear him.

"He fucking killed them," an enraged JJ pointed to Rafe, "he's mental Shoupe, he probably slit their throats."

Rafe laughed lowly, "Trust me if I wanted to, I would've," his voice came out raspy and his cool breath hit Cassiopeia's ear.

"Shoupe, do something!" JJ begged, wiping his nose frantically, "He fucking knows something."

"You know I can't do that JJ," Shoupe shook his head in defeat, "He called it in to the station."

"That doesn't mean he wasn't involved!" JJ shouted helplessly, "everyone knows that his head is all messed up from his father."

"At least mine had the balls to stick around," Rafe retorted which sent JJ into a rage. He charged at Rafe but before his fist could collide with his face he was taken down by Shoupe and the other officer.

"It's not worth it, son," Shoupe mumbled into his ear, "we'll figure out who did this."

"Get her away from him," JJ mustered through gritted teeth, "he'll hurt her."'

"She can make her own decisions," Rafe bent down next to JJ, "right Cass?"

Her complexion was pale and she ignored Rafe's comment, brushing past the officers to get a glimpse at the catastrophe.

Her hands went up to her mouth and she choked, not being able to tolerate the smell of a dozen dead chickens. The ground was covered in feathers and scattered with pieces of chicken feet. She was at a loss for words, and stepped over the chicken head that was laying on the ground.

She looked out into swamp and didn't seem to notice any alligators floating at the surface. Whatever happened to the chickens was not from an animal but rather from a sick individual.

She clenched her fists and briskly walked away, bumping into Rafe's shoulder as she moved past him.

She could feel his stare pierce the back of her head but she dashed towards JJ, whom she wrapped her arms around tightly.