xvii.

The motorcycle screeched to a halt as the two pulled up to Barry's. Rafe hopped off, making Cassiopeia lose her balance and hit the ground.

"Could you be more careful?" She spat, wiping the dirt from her knees.

He knelt down so that they were face to face, "Oops," He mumbled, his dangerous blue eyes capturing her brown ones.

With a slight smirk, he stood up and dusted himself off, "I got Pogue dirt on me," He muttered as she rolled her eyes.

She watched him intently as he glided towards the door of the mobile home, and without knocking, Rafe strolled right in, letting the door slam behind him.

Cassiopeia could faintly hear John B's voice whispering in her ear.

"JJ, you can't be that loud, he could hear you," John B warned.

She suddenly hears a brief struggle ensue before only hearing JJ's heavy breathing echo in her ear.

"Cassiopeia," He muttered.

She paused for a second, wondering if it was worth having to deal with JJ's attitude again. She adjusted the earpiece with her finger and sighed slightly.

"Yes."

"Be careful about going inside," JJ lectured her, "Barry is by far worse than Rafe."

"Rafe wouldn't let me in," She muttered under her breath, placing one hand on the motorcycle seat to help her stand.

JJ groaned, "It would be helpful if you went in there, we need to know what he's doing."

Cassiopeia lightly scoffed, "First you warn me now you're mad that I'm not in there? You have issues."

For a moment there was silence, and Cassiopeia wondered whether he had passed the earpiece back to one of the Pogues or if it died.

Just as she reached up towards her ear, JJ cleared his throat, "I'm going to have a problem no matter what, and you're just going to have to deal. Doesn't matter if you're okay with it or not."

"I can make my own decisions," Cassiopeia protested.

"Not this one, and not with him," JJ grumbled before there was static on the other end.

She winced and pulled the earpiece slightly out of her ear, JJ's words cutting her like a knife.

She was so lost in thought that she didn't hear John B calling her name.

"Cassi, you good?"

She pushed the earpiece back, "Never better," she replied fakely.

"We are going to meet up tonight," John B stated.

"You know I have to be with him tonight."

"Find a way out of it, we need some alone time with you."

She sighed in frustration, "Okay, I'll figure it out, where will you guys be?"

"At JJ's."

She ran a hand slowly through her hair, "Okay, I'll be there sometime later."

Just as she finished saying those words, Rafe flung open the door, holding a sack in his hand.

He gestured towards the bike, "Let's go."

"You needed that much?" Her eyebrows rose as she hopped back on the bike.

"Yes, now hang on," Rafe rushed out, getting on the bike and shoving the helmet on his head.

Cassiopeia looked at him curiously but clicked the strap together and wrapped her arms around his waist.

Rafe revved the engine and spun the bike out of the driveway. Cassiopeia turned to look behind her and watched as Barry stumbled out of the mobile home, his hand was clutching his nose that was covered in blood.