xvi.

Rafe had taken her back that night to Topper's beach house. He was prepared to drop her off at home but she nudged him and shook her head no. Cassiopeia feared that if she went home she would encounter JJ in her room again. After the night, she didn't have the energy to fight with him. She was anxious for the entire evening, and wondered whether she was actually hearing police sirens or if it was all in her head.

When she awoke, she noticed that the tall boy was on the opposite side of her. Her sticky body stuck to the leather seats as she tried to sit up. He was peaceful laying there, his long arms extending over his head and his mouth slightly open. She watched him intently and counted each time his chest rose and fell. Her mouth formed into a half smile as she swung her legs over the cushions. As she stood up Topper came into the room, holding a cup of steaming coffee. He walked up to her and held it out, "I figured you'd get up sooner than later."

She smiled and took the cup from him, pressing the rim to her lips.

"What about him?" She gestured towards Rafe, a slight snore escaping his lips.

"He never gets up in the morning, ask me again in the afternoon," Topper grinned as he walked to the sliding glass doors. Cassiopeia followed behind him and stepped out into the humid morning.

After Topper slid the door closed, he turned to her, his expression serious and stern.

"You need to be careful."

She placed the coffee cup on the ledge and leaned against it.

She lowered her voice, "I'm in danger no matter what happens."

"Not with Rafe," Topper said quietly, "with Barry. He doesn't mess around and he knows plenty of outsiders on the island. Just get what you owe Rafe and be done with it."

"And Rafe isn't a concern to you?" She raised her eyebrows.

Topper ran a hand through his hair and sighed, "Believe it or not, he seems to be more manageable when you cooperate with him."

She unexpectedly let out a laugh, "I told him we needed to have a deal."

"And that was?"

"I go through with the arrangement if he gets help with his drug problem."

"Like Narcotics Anonymous?"

"Essentially," Cassiopeia took a sip from the coffee.

Topper scoffed in response, "Do you really believe he'll do that?"

"That's why," She hesitated and took another sip of the burnt tasting liquid, "I want you to go with him."

"You're joking," Topper looked at her, trying to scan her eyes for indication that she was joking. Cassiopeia's face remained stoic as Topper folded his arms, "I don't have a problem."

"You're his friend, and frankly the only one I would trust for him to go with. I just need to make sure he's holding up his end of the deal."

"Cassi," Topper protested.

"Just a few times, please. Just so I know that he's going."

"You know those meetings won't change him."

"It's worth a shot. Besides, it might give him a change of heart."

"That's debatable," Topper replied back.

Cassiopeia looked down at her watch and her eyes widened, "Oh fuck, I'm late again."

Topper chuckled, "Guess you have a habit of running on Pogue time."