xxiv.

"Shouldn't we go back?"

"Why would you even suggest that?" Rafe snapped, steering them down the empty paved road.

"Well they showed up for a reason."

"Who cares," Rafe spoke coolly, "They treat you like a child."

Cassiopeia sighed, her arms tightening around his waist.

"Where are you taking me?"

"I don't like repeating myself," His tone emotionless and bitter.

She leaned her head against his back, her eyes fixated on the cluster of blue and white waves crashing in the distance.

Why had he gotten nasty with her all of a sudden? She secured her grasp around him in thought and counted each time he breathed in and exhaled. He was heading towards the southern part of the island, nearing the boundary between the Kooks and the entrance to the Cut. He was taking her back to that first night where they met. He swung the bike in the parking lot and skidded to a halt. To her objection, he pulled from her grip, making the girl lose her balance and topple over the handlebars.

She landed on the concrete with a hard thud, feeling the grains of cement digging their way into the healing cuts on her palms. He stared down at her, a disappointed look plastered across his face.

"What the fuck is your problem?" Cassiopeia breathed out angrily.

"Why do you give a damn about the Pogues?"

A question she was entirely not expecting to tumble out of his mouth.

"They are my friends."

"They used you."

"Oh really?" Cassiopeia raised an eyebrow up at Rafe, "Like you know shit."

He chuckled, "You think I'm oblivious to the fact you were given an earpiece to eavesdrop on me?"

Cassiopeia sucked in a shallow breath, her blood running cold at his remark.

Rafe kicked a dirt covered rock to the side, "It's cool, see I had thought of a plan and then I realized that this wasn't you."

He kneeled down, his face hovering above hers, "It was all them."

His cool breath rippled over her face, making her body tense up.

"I was hurt at first," He reached out and ruffled her hair, "But the longer I was away from you made me realize I can't be away from you, hurt or not."

He stood up firmly, "C'mon, no one comes here during the day."

Cassiopeia was preserved in her place, not registering that pieces of glass that were engrained in the ground had cut up her hand, reopening her wounds.

She raced to her feet, running after him.

"Why would you continue to pursue me then?"

"Simple," Rafe's voice rose over the waves, "You aren't them."

"But I'm not the girls at the party who were all over you."

"Even better," He chimed.

Her face displayed a look of confusion as she strolled next to him, kicking off her sneakers so her feet could sink into the brisk sand.

"All for one person, who you weren't sure whether or not they reciprocated their feelings?"

"Oh, I knew you did, I just had to pull it out of you slowly. Like I said, I value patience."