iv.

John B pulled onto Cassiopeia's dirt road and JJ looked over at her. The car ride was silent between them. There were a thousand thoughts running through her brain and she would catch JJ giving her forlorn glances from across the seat.

"You need me to walk you up?" JJ whispered to her.

She shook her head and jumped out of the car as John B parked. She made her way to the porch when she heard running footsteps behind her.

"C'mon Cassiopeia, really?" JJ breathed out breathlessly. She looked over at the Twinkie, where John B and Pope were unsuspectedly chatting away.

"Now is not the time JJ," She muttered, walking up the steps.

"It has to be," He called out, grabbing her arm. She turned around and stepped one step down to where JJ was just inches above her, "I'm sorry."

She shook her head, "It's fine, we all are a little fucked up in the head, aren't we?"

"Cassiopeia that's not what I meant at all."

"So, what was it then, how could you just casually throw my dead brother into conversation?" She raised her hands up angrily.

JJ chewed his lip, "It wasn't like that, I'm worried about you. I'm not the bad guy here."

She scoffed, "Are you saying that I am?"

"Definitely not, it was a misunderstanding. I want to spend as much time with you as I can this summer."

"Pointing out my flaws is not the best way to do that JJ."

He groaned and ran a hand through his hair, "I wasn't trying to do that. Look, your family left because he died, they wanted to start fresh, I totally get that. My dad, a loser, wanted to do the same thing. Shit happens, life happens but now you are back here physically in front of me and I'll be damned if I let you walk in that house without us fixing things."

She stood there in silence, half taken aback by his words.

"And before you say anything, no my voice is not waking up your 85-year-old grandmother."

She half smiled before sighing, "JJ that's not the point."

"Then what is?" He threw his hands up in defeat, "How am I supposed to help you?"

"Like I said, I don't need help."

"You're getting it, I made a promise to your mom."

"Screw promises," She breathed out, "my brother promised he would come back from the beach and he never did. Promises aren't valid."

"You are valid to me," he yelled out which caught John B's attention.

"You two good?" He looked between her and JJ.

"Never better man, just give us a second," JJ called back as John B gave him a thumbs up.

"This is ridiculous," She mumbled, "it's almost one and we are arguing on a porch. I'm going to bed."

"Hey," JJ drew out, "I'm not going anywhere, tell me you hate me, that I'm the trashiest looking guy on this island."

"Not true," She pointed out, "but I don't have the energy to talk about this anymore."

"So let me take you out," He spoke suddenly, "we'll get food tomorrow, eat on my dad's boat, just like when we were kids."

She raised an eyebrow, "Don't you work tomorrow?"

"You do too."

She groaned, "Which gives me more of a reason to leave this conversation."

He laughed, "Cassiopeia, please let's just catch up. I'll clean up first thing after work, I'll pick you up on my bike."