Part Twenty-Six

Feeling a bit like a spy — or maybe a soon-to-be victim in a slasher film — Adrian peeked around the corner of the door into the hall.

They had almost reached the stairwell door. He retreated into the room.

If CJ spotted him, he'd be dead meat. She'd raise her eyebrow and reveal that smirk that she kept on hand for the poor sucker she'd managed to outwit.

He had been that poor sucker more times than he would like to admit.

Not today.

He poked his head out again. Kid was holding the door open as Sam and Aiden filed inside. CJ must have already started making her way downstairs. He let the door close behind him.

Kid glanced in his direction. He waved.

I just needed a few more seconds. He sighed.

It was probably for the best.

He made his way toward the elevator, being sure to take his time. He didn't want to risk crossing paths with them.

A pang of guilt thumped his stomach. He hadn't seen Aiden yet that morning.

I should try to spend some time alone with him later.

He reached the elevator and pushed the down button.

He needed to find John and Michele when he reached the ground floor.

The elevator let out a ding, announcing its arrival. The doors had barely had time to slide open before he was greeted by a familiar voice.

"Mister Lawson! Hello." Jared Clayborn stood inside. He was alone.

"Mister Clayborn. Good to see you again." Adrian entered.

"Certainly. I took a break this morning to visit with the family. Unfortunately, my sixteen-year-old doesn't have a great understanding on the importance of sunscreen." He chuckled. "She'll learn."

Adrian rocked back on his feet. He found small talk with strangers excruciating. "Of course."

"I have to say," Clayborn said, "I'm glad we had this chance encounter. I was hoping to speak with you personally."

"Really?"

Clayborn nodded. "Yes. Mister Lawson-"

"Please," Adrian raised a hand dismissively. "You can call me by my first name."

Clayborn smiled. "Excellent. Thank you, Adrian. Well, how do I put it?" He scratched his chin. "Your father and I shared a business law course in college."

"Oh! That's... I didn't know."

"No. I don't suppose you would have. Your father and I weren't close, but he did share his notes with me on more than one occasion. I had gotten somewhat of a late start on my education, you see. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to give up. But I got by. And I've always wanted to thank your father for the help he gave me."

Adrian ran a hand through his hair. "I'm sure he wouldn't have expected anything."

"No." Clayborn shrugged. "I doubt he would even have remembered it."

The elevator dinged, signaling their arrival on the ground floor. They passed two women in business attire as they made their exit.

"Mister Clayborn, you do know that my parents died, yes?

The older man nodded. "Yes. I was deeply sorry to hear it. A horrible accident. And when I heard how you took the helm at work... I have to say, I was very impressed."