Part Thirty-Five

TW: violence

___

Kid blew a strand of hair out of her face as she lifted the heavy casserole pan out of the oven.

Aiden was hard at work, stacking large building blocks on top of each other. When she asked him what he was building, he simply said, "Castle."

It appeared the answer should have been obvious.

She had just turned the oven off when she jumped at a loud knock on the front door. No, it was more like a thunderous pounding sound.

Kid slapped a hand over her chest. Her heart was pounding. "Oh, man." She giggled at how startled she'd been. I'm glad I set that pan down. 

The pounding continued. 

"Coming," she called.

She almost had her eye up to the peephole that it occurred to her to be concerned that someone had made their way up to the Lawsons' house.

She contemplated for a moment as the door continued to receive its beating. If that was a salesperson, surely they wouldn't be making such a racket. 

Never know til you look, she thought to herself. There's no danger in looking.

"Miss Shelly!" The voice sounded familiar. "Please, Miss Shelly, open the door. It's an emergency!"

She glanced through the hole. 

Peter Smith? What was he doing here?

"Please, Miss Shelly." He paused, sucking in a breath. "It's Adrian."

She pulled back from the door, goosebumps enveloping her arms and legs, and flung it open.

"Mister Smith?"

His eyes widened in what seemed like relief. "Oh, thank God, Miss Shelly."

"What is it, what happened?" She felt her hand worrying the top of her shirt.

"We tried calling the house. We tried calling your cell phone number personally." He almost sounded angry. "Why didn't you answer the phone?"

She found herself turning in the direction of the kitchen. Had she set her phone to silent? Her mind was whirling, not comprehending.

"You called me?"

"I called, John called. We even tried using Adrian's phone." He wiped his forehead.

"Why-"

"Miss Shelly - please, may I come in?"

She stepped back, clearing the doorway. "Of course. But - what happened? Where's Adrian?"

He shook his head solemnly at her. "Car accident."

Her head whipped toward the direction of the kitchen once again. Could Aiden hear them? She didn't want to scare him.

"Is he okay?" 

"He's in the emergency room now."

"Oh my gosh-"

He held a reassuring hand up. "He's fine. He's awake now. Only minor injuries. He's asking for you. Both of you."

Her halting fear shifted into adrenaline. She had to go to him. Now. She needed to get Aiden and get to the hospital as soon as possible.

"Aiden!" She called.

Peter shook his head. "Wait. Miss Shelly. He needs things. Phone charger. Toothbrush."

"But can't we just get him those things later, once we know he's-"

He smiled; it seemed stretched. Exhausted. "I know you're concerned. I know this is a lot of information flying at you all at once. But he needs these things, Miss Shelly. I promise I will get you to the hospital as soon as humanly possible. But first he needs you to grab these things for him."

"Of course." She nodded. She spun on her heel, racing toward the staircase."

It wasn't until she reached the top stair that the registered how his footfalls had followed her. She could have excused the action - maybe he was trying to help - had she asked him to help? She couldn't remember. Everything was happening so fast.

Her head made contact with the ground at the top of the stair in a flash.

"Miss Shelly!" Peter Smith's voice was quiet, layered with concern.

He lifted her to her feet. He used a calm hand to steady her.

"I'm sorry, I must have tripped." She placed a hand on her forehead. "I'm fine. Just let me-"

"No. You've hurt yourself." He stopped her, pulling her back toward the top stair. "You stay here. I'll check in his room."

"His room?" She shook her head. "You don't know where it-"

The impression of hands on her shoulders was the last thing she registered before her feet left the ground. Sharp flashes of pain hammered into her. She noticed the sensation of falling.