Role Reversal ⊗ MH

"Jay, run!" Tim shouted the order at him once again, pain lacing his voice as he struggled against Alex's grip.

The cameraman just stared in horror, his mind going blank as the pool of crimson grew bigger and bigger beneath his partner. It wasn't supposed to end like this. He still had his knife- a pitiful weapon in comparison to the gun Alex was fighting to aim at him. Even shot and bleeding out, Tim was fighting like a man possessed to prevent the crazed film director from putting another bullet in either of them. To leave him now... it would mean his death for sure.

"Ja-" A gunshot rang out, overpowering the wounded man's words.

Flecks burst from the wall next to his head as the bullet hit. Jay nearly dropped his camera as he flinched further away. The scene blurred as his eyes teared momentarily. He couldn't just leave. Not now... Tim needed him!

But the burly man's strength was ebbing; his ragged breathing stuttering as his grip on Alex's arm weakened. Dark eyes met his, silently pleading for Jay to leave. There was nothing the scrawny man could do at this point. He'd hesitated too long, the shock numbing his mind as he tried to process what was happening. It just hadn't seemed real.

Alex was starting to get to his feet, leaving Tim to die. "I have to do this. It's the only way to stop it, Jay."

He opened his mouth to speak but couldn't get a sound to come out. Jay turned and ran. Another bullet whizzed by, too close for comfort. The man didn't know where to run to or whether or not Alex was chasing him. The blood pounding in his ears was overwhelming any other sounds and his brain was stuck on the memory of Tim's gaze.

Jay barely registered he'd made it to his car. He couldn't recall driving back to Tim's house, though was vaguely aware it was a bad idea. Alex would probably look here first. But he needed to be there. Hoping against everything that Tim would come through that door.

It wasn't supposed to wind up like this. Tim wasn't supposed to die, that bullet hadn't been for him. Jay slumped on the floor in the corner Tim had left him after their argument. He should've been the one bleeding out on that floor... But he was alive and unscathed. Tim was dead. Tim, the man who he dragged back into this when he'd claimed to be getting better. The man who stuck with him through all his crap despite stupid plans and general faults. The liar who... after Jay had time to come to his senses, had just been trying to keep him and Jessica safe.

The floor blurred as tears spilled down his cheeks. It wasn't fair. Why did he have to find him- save him- from Alex? Jay didn't even care if the camera was currently filming this. Heck, he wasn't even sure if he was going to post this. The man he'd been pining after was dead for heaven's sake and he'd just stood there filming it! Tim didn't deserve to die yet, it happened. Jay cursed himself. The last real conversation they'd had was that argument. He'd never gotten to confess his feelings for the man... and now he'd never know how Tim felt. Although, his sacrifice seemed like enough of an answer. A cruel way to get one.

He took a shuddering breath and finally got to his feet. Staying here was a death wish and while Jay wouldn't mind dying at this point, he wasn't going to go that easily. It would be a waste, an insult, to Tim saving his life. He wasn't sure what he was going to do now, not entirely anyway. The mourning man moved about the house, taking in the last bits of Tim he had left, before walking to his car.

He'd leave. Drive far away and pray Alex never found him. Leaving the state seemed like the best option. His gut twisted at the idea of leaving Tim behind. There wasn't much of a choice though. He'd reached dead ends on finding Jessica and there was little chance he could kill Alex. Jay clenched his teeth as pain wracked through him from the guilt. Jessica was probably dead because of him dragging her into this mess and now Tim was too. He turned the car on and drove, not caring where he ended up so long as it was far from this.