2 TIA: SECRETS

TIA
Track: THERAPY (All Time Low)
lyrics available at the end of the chapter
CHAPTER 2

SECRETS

"Why didn't you tell me?"

I found him sitting on the front porch, smoking.. It was an apartment type triplex designed by my father. Next door was my parents'. And on the other side was my brother's. On our first day, my sweet mom made lunch for everyone. We caught up little by little, on breakfasts and dinners, during which Calyx was either gone or sleeping through the day.

I lit up a stick of my own and joined him.

Silence.

"I don't wanna talk about it." He said after a long pause.

"Okay, I'll just stay here and be with you then."

He puffed a smoke and said nothing.

I looked at the blurry image of the house across the street. The rain has diminished into drizzle, and left quite a haze.

We sat in silence as we finished our cigarettes. We gazed into nothingness.

He broke the silence for what seemed to be an eternity.

"I don't have to tell you anything."

"Right."

"I'm leaving first thing in the morning."

I shook my head, said nothing.

"Drop me at the airport at seven."

Still, not a word.

"You hear me?"

I shrugged. "Fine."

"Fine?" He snapped.

"Yes, fine."

"You suck."

"I know."

"That's it?"

"Yep." I said flatly. "And you suck too."

"See, this is why I don't tell you anything!"

"And what is this?"

"You never say anything to make me feel better! Instead, you make me even more upset than I already am!"

"And dinner's ruined."

"Is that all you care about? Dinner?"

"As of the moment, yes."

"Unbelievable!" He said furiously. "You care about dinner but you don't care about my dead unborn child!"

I looked at him.

"I asked you why didn't you tell me sooner." I said warily. "And all you cared about is going back to New York."

"So it's my fault?"

"No, honey, it's not your fault you lost your baby."

I heard him sniff a little.

"I don't understand." He sounded tired. "I told her we should keep the baby. I was gonna marry her."

"What did she say when you told her that?"

"She said she's not sure she wants a husband at this point, let alone a baby. She'd think about

it and will let me know. I told her I didn't want her to terminate her pregnancy. I said, I'd keep the child if she doesn't want to raise a kid."

"How far along was she when you found out?"

"Six weeks."

"When did she do it?"