7 TIA: AFFAIRS

TIA

Track: TWO PRINCES (by SPIN DOCTORS)

*lyrics available by the end of the chapter

CHAPTER 7

AFFAIRS

I sneaked a glance back at Calyx while I talked to the crew guys. He looked absolutely miserable, still sitting by the table. He looked around, and cringed. I followed his gaze and saw Missy, waving at him.

I studied her keenly. She was wearing a black sequined, neck split long gown, with gold rhinestones embellished from the waist down. Her cleavage was hauntingly bodacious. She wore her hair in an up-do. I watched her hold her hand out as Calyx approached. She tugged him towards her and they kissed for a long time. I felt my eyes burning and my lips quivering as I stared at them. The room started to spin around me slowly.

"Hey beautiful," a familiar soothing voice said.

I turned around and found Matt, looking very handsome in his navy suit with an emerald slender tie. He smiled happily at me.

He caught me off guard and gave me a peck on the lips, still a little woozy. "Hey yourself. What took you so long?"

He drew me away from the pack of wolves I was enjoying myself with. "I got held up by my boss. I'm getting the anchor job!"

"Congratulations!" I gave him a big hug. "I'm so happy for you, Matthew!"

"Thank you sweetie."

We found ourselves an empty table and settled there.

"Do you want anything from the buffet? Have you eaten yet?"

I shook my head. "I was waiting for you. I'm starving, actually."

"I'll get you some food. Anything in particular?"

"Yes. Anything will do," I joked.

Matt touched my shoulder tenderly as got up. "Anything for you, my queen."

I felt my guilt wash all over me. Matt was a great guy. He treats me like a princess, and he's very vocal about how he felt about me. I was aware that he genuinely cared about me a great deal and he liked me very much. He was a kind soul, patient and very understanding. And handsome.

Under a different situation, I was sure by this time, Matt would've won me over completely. I couldn't deny there were sparks, a strong connection between us two.

He came back, holding two platefuls of salad and halibut.

"Dig in," he said as he set the plates down.

"Thanks," I told him while I tossed salad in my mouth.

We ate merrily, chitchatting in between gulps. He told me about his pay raise, and his plans of purchasing a house in the suburbs. He invited me to a go-see with his realtor on the following weekend.

"Let's go to the out for a smoke in the balcony," I said.

He lit my stick and then his own. We stood there peacefully, looking down the busy street.

I knew I wasn't supposed to let go of Matt yet, but my guilt was killing me already.

"Matt," I began. I faced him glumly. "You're a great guy, and what I'm about to say shouldn't make you think otherwise."

He sighed, and smiled sadly. "You're breaking up with me."

"I'm sorry," I told him sincerely.

"Why?"