3 CALYX: STRUGGLES

CALYX
Track: NEVER BE THE SAME (by MELANIE C)
*lyrics at the end of the chapter
CHAPTER 3

STRUGGLES

The rain came steady and cold against the windshield, rattling on the roof of Tia's brother's five year old white Honda Civic. She had been fidgeting with the heat knobs, adjusting the temperature inside the car from time to time. Climate control was busted, leaving us either a bit too cold and then warm.

I focused on my driving, ignoring the forlorn nineties lovesong playing on the radio. We haven't said a word to each other since we left, except when we stopped at Tim Horton's an hour ago to grab coffee, to discuss where were we headed.

I had no idea where to go, and Tia pointed out it was pretty stupid and irresponsible to drive around all day without a destination.

"We can't head up in Calgary," she objected. "It's too cold, especially without a proper heater."

I shrugged. "This is your territory anyway."

"There's a nice bed and breakfast in Niagara. We can get separate rooms."

"Let's go," I said as I started walking towards the car. Once I got in, I punched in the destination in the Navi.

I drove at forty miles per hour. The tension between us was too high, one could cut it with a knife.

She was keeping herself busy with her new phone, determined not to be the first one to break the silence.

I was very upset with her since I found out about Missy. If only she'd stopped nagging me every once in a while about work schedules and meetings, she would've known right away that something was wrong. Instead, she was very irritable over the phone and snarky at home.

I made a split second decision to come with. As we got on the plane, I've decided not to tell her about my problem anymore.

When it finally hit her that something was wrong and made me tell her about it, I felt angrier. It was unfair how it took four straight drunken nights for her to figure that I was acting out.

I couldn't take it anymore. I had to vent.

"It was very nice of you to notice last night that I'm in a very dark place," I said sarcastically. "Thanks Tia."

She exhaled loudly. "Whatever, Calyx. I'm not in the mood to fight."

"Yeah, that is the problem. You can't be bothered with a decent conversation because you are always not in the mood."

She looked at me, frowning. "For God's sake, Calyx, stop being passive aggressive! Forgive me for not wanting to participate in a petty argument with you. Please."

"Now I'm petty."

"I'm not doing this," she declared, looking away. "No sir."

"You couldn't tell I was going through hell have I not bothered you to go get something for my hangover."

"Yeah, because you only get hungover whenever you're in trouble. That must be your tell," she mocked me. "Oh, geez. Why didn't I think of that?"

"Why can't you admit that if only you stopped bitching about your work, which I am paying you for by the way, you would actually be aware that your best friend needs your ear?" I demanded.

A pause.

"Let's go back to not talking before things get uglier," She said calmly.

"What happened to you? You used to be a good friend."

"I am not enabling you in the car, Calyx. If you can't agree to a truce, let me drive and you can yell all you want."

I was so frustrated. I floored the gas pedal.