13 TIA: MATT

TIA

Track: DELICATE (by JANET DEVLIN)

CHAPTER 13

"How are you holding up?" Andy asked me when I came out of the shower that night.

"I'm okay," I replied shortly.

"You have to call Calyx," she said. She has already changed her clothes. She was putting on her face.

I grunted, as I scanned the narrow oak built-in closet for clothes.

"Tia."

"What!?" I was irritable.

She placed her mascara back on the dresser. "Don't you snap at me."

"Andy, please. I can't deal with this yet."

"Well suck it up," she snapped back. "It's as real as it gets. This is happening Tia, whether you like it or not."

I chose not to respond. I busied myself hunting for clothes to put on. I found a brown, button down flannel shirt and a pair of slim fit jeans and hurriedly put them on.

I moved towards the dresser and shared the mirror with Andy, who wordlessly observed me. I glanced at her reflection in the mirror, but said nothing. I began to brush my hair, still ignoring her.

She shook her head, frustrated. She picked up her mascara and applied it on her long, thick lashes.

I sighed. "I already left Calyx a message at home. He hasn't returned my call yet, for your information."

"You have to go over there," she frowned. "And then there's Matt, who deserves to know about this just as much as Calyx does."

"Oh leave it alone," I whined.

"You're in denial."

I laughed sourly. "Am I really?"

"You're not dealing with it."

"I will tell Matt after I tell Calyx, but I haven't had a chance to do that yet, have I?"

"It doesn't matter whom you tell first," she argued. "Matt has to know what he's getting into."

"And what is he getting into, Andy?"

"God Tia, chill much?"

"Look Andy, I have no idea how to tell either of them," I set the hairbrush down with force. "Stop pushing me to deal with all these all at once!"

"You have to start somewhere," she said hotly. "If Calyx isn't available, then find out if Matt is. There's no reason for you to stall. He has a right to know, Christianna."

"Fine. I will give him a call later. Happy?"

Andy shot me a look of fury. "You know what, I think it's best if I go now. I think we can't survive dinner without biting each other's head off. I'll come back for my things tomorrow. Let me know once you cool down."

With that, she grabbed her shoulder bag and headed for the door.

"Andy-"

She slammed the door shut.

I collapsed on the bed. I tried to hold back my tears to no avail. I was defeated. No matter how hard I rejected the reality of my situation, it didn't stop crashing down on me.

I was still in tears when I heard knocks. I hastily wiped my tears, and tried to look normal before I went for the door. I saw Matt's familiar figure through the peephole. Oh God.

I let him in. "Hey," I greeted him casually.

He studied me for a moment and frowned. "What's wrong?"