9 CALYX : STUPID

CALYX

Track: SKELETONS (by THIS CENTURY)

*lyrics available by the end of the chapter
CHAPTER 9
STUPID

I stepped out of Tia's room and headed to the bathroom, to wash my face. I checked myself in the mirror for a couple of seconds. I saw my reflection and all I could see was a man staring back, undeniably terrified.

The chain of events during the last two days made the two of us disconnected from each other. And I felt completely helpless. Here I am, with the woman I just fell in love with next door, and yet she seemed out of reach. And I knew I couldn't blame her for it.

I had to choose my career first. I believed it to be the most sensible decision for everyone, including Tia. Once it falls apart, everything else will follow to crumble down. She will be out of work as well, and I will have nothing to provide for her. It isn't a life I will choose for the woman I love.

When, God forbid, Missy takes everything I worked hard for- including my squeaky clean rep, I will be knocking on doors, begging for somebody to take me in, including my previous employer at the news company. And it's not even the matter of begging, because I will do it, if it guarantees me a seat at the newsroom; but with the threat of Missy, shitting me out in the open, I would be lucky if I get a job as a coffee boy.

I had a small fortune stashed away in a bank, but Tia and I wouldn't be able to live off it for at least three years, considering the cost of living in the state. It will be drained before we could even spend it. I knew nothing else to do, away from the cameras, well, not just yet.

I thought six weeks was a very small price to pay for keeping everything I had, so I took it. However, I did not see it coming that I might be in real danger of losing Tia in the process.

I walked down the hall, to my room and threw myself on the bed. I placed a pillow over my head and let out a silent howl.

The worst part of my evening came. I was trying to console myself with the thought of taking back control with my life in five remaining weeks just as agreed on when I suddenly pictured a memory of Tia and Matt during the previous night at the party.

Before I decided to interrupt their conversation, I overheard Matt asking Tia for a fair chance to win her over from me.

Stupid Matt, I thought begrudgingly.

I mistakenly ignored the gravity of Matt being a threat to us, and only just tonight, when I saw Tia with a sad, defeated look in her eyes that I realized it. And then she didn't deny the fact that she planned on seeing Matt still.

By this time, normally, I would've been furious with her, yelling and ranting nonstop; but I knew I was to blame for that. I should never have encouraged her to keep seeing Matt even just for a cover, and now, it's starting to backfire on me. And seeing her like that- I knew it was too late to take it back.

STUPID CALYX! I cursed to myself. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID.

I got up, walked to the living room and paced anxiously at the back of the couch. It was only eight thirty in the evening. I reached for the wireless house phone and dialed Ali's cell number.

"Hello," Ali's voice said on the other end.

"Hey man," I greeted. "How are you?"

"Ka-leeks!" He exclaimed with enthusiasm. "I'm good, you bastard!"

"Tia told me you guys ran into each other this afternoon. I'm sorry I didn't call sooner."

"It's alright," he said. "It sounded like you're in a lot of pickle right now, no?"