14 CALYX: LOST

CALYX

Track: ONE MORE TRY (A1)

CHAPTER 14

I stood on the balcony, smoking away another pack of Tia's cigarette from her drawer. I looked behind my shoulders, checking on Missy. She lay on my bed, wearing only her panties and my red shirt over it.

I expected her to leave early in the morning, but to my disappointment- she intended to stay here until tomorrow.

I glared at the six millimeter black tungsten wedding band on my ring finger.

The wedding was a blur. I decided to get as drunk as I possibly could, an hour before the ceremony took place. I woke up with a terrible hangover the next day. I insisted to fly back to New York in the afternoon despite Missy's objections.

I was still a little hung over when I listened to Tia's message. My head pounded while I talked to her.

Everything fell apart before my very eyes. I was surprised Tia hasn't found out about of my wedding yet. Though there was no video coverage, Missy made it a point to leak a few photos to a gossip magazine yesterday.

I knew Tia would be devastated once she learns about my wretched wedding. I planned to let her know without Missy in the house to lessen the blow, but right now it seemed impossible. There was no way I could make a call without Missy finding out.

I went inside my room and grabbed a fresh set of clothes from my closet. "Why are you still here?" I demanded. "Can't you spare me a day or two from all of this?"

"I'm not leaving just yet," she responded. "If you want me gone soon, you better call Tia and let her know we already got married."

"I'll tell her," I said begrudgingly. "You don't need to be here."

"On the contrary. I wanna be here when you tell her."

"What's the point, Missy? I've already given you what you want. Show some decency, for crying out loud!"

"I'm gonna be here when you tell her and that's the end of it," she said firmly.

I slammed the closet shut and stomped my way to the bathroom.

"I'm going to take a walk," I declared once I got out of the shower, fully dressed.

Missy staggered as she jumped out of the bed, and followed me to the living room. "I'm coming with you."

"You are not," I told her cooly. "I need some air, away from you."

"I'm your wife, Calyx. Legally, that is."

"Tell yourself whatever you want. You're not coming."

"Where are you going?"

"I said I'm taking a walk!"

"You're going to see Tia, aren't you?"

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever."

"I still have the video," she reminded me.

"Right now, you can do whatever you want with it," I told her. "I don't care anymore."

"Tia will be-"

"Yeah, she's gonna be crushed; but it won't matter now, once she learns about you and me." I bolted for the door.

"She will never recover once I upload the video," she yelled. "Not only she will be humiliated, she will never find decent work ever again."

I turned around and glowered at her. "It doesn't matter. I will be the one-"

"I will suck your money dry," she said. "I will file for a divorce and use this video and demand for an alimony you can't afford apart from me taking half of everything you own."