Chapter 12

1978

"It's odd," Regulus said.

"What is?" Pandora asked, scooping potatoes onto her plate.

"My brother, I don't know where he is, what he's doing...if he's alright. I keep looking over to the Gryffindor table...I just suppose I always knew that if I needed to speak to him, he'd be there, but he's not. Does that make sense?"

"Mhm..." Pandora responded absent-mindedly, flipping the page of a book.

"Pandora? Are you listening to me?" Regulus asked.

"Uhm...yes please," Pandora was chewing the bottom of her quill, squinting at the passage in front of her.

"Pandora!" Regulus exclaimed, "what're you doing?"

His change of tone startled her back into the present reality and she looked over with a guilty smile, "sorry, Love, but I'm researching."

"What exactly?" He asked.

"I've taken a fancy to the idea of creating my own spells," she said, "so far I've only been successful in little changes, like look—" she flicked her wand at his dinner plate and the contently quickly turned into a jelly-like consistency.

"I was eating that," Regulus said pointedly, poking what had become of his food with his fork.

As soon as the metal came into contact with the jelly, it became limp in Regulus's grip, turning into jelly itself.

"Argh!" Regulus jumped, "what the..?"

"Yeah," Pandora cringed, "don't touch it."

"Pandora!" Regulus frowned, "isn't experimenting with spells dangerous?"

"I suppose it can be," she said, "but I've got it handled."

"Ok, if you say so," Regulus said, unconvinced, "I got to go, I've got a meeting at the Black Manor today, it's not until eight but I need to get past the Apparation barrier."

"Ok," Pandora turned her head to kiss him, "goodluck, be safe."

"I will," he assured.

"And say hi to Rabastan for me?" Pandora asked with a hopeful expression.

"I'll try," Regulus sighed, "you know how he's been since that night."

"Yeah," Pandora tried to shake the frown off her face, "he'll come to, it just might take some time."

"Dora...it's been over a year—"

"He'll come to," Pandora said stubbornly, "just give him time."

"Ok, My Love," he smiled, kissing her temple, "I've got to go, I'll see you tonight."

"Ok," Pandora sighed, "love you."

"I love you more!" He called loud enough for the whole hall to hear.

Pandora's cheeks turned red but her smile grew even wider.

"There goes Loverboy," Adora teased, sliding into the seat beside her on the bench. "Where's he off to?"

"A meeting," Pandora said vaguely.

"Do I want to know?" Adora asked.

Pandora shook her head.

"Fair enough," the blonde laughed, "want to come back to my dormitory? We can have a girls night...and you can help me with my charms paper!"

"Sure," Pandora smiled, "sounds great, thanks, Adora."