Rico x Reader (The Popcorn Seller)

(Y/N) = Your Name
Be aware that you're the reader in these stories.
Thanks シ
Ok so this is my first take at writing in two years.
Requested by Mind
🍿 Rico

There was once a robot that ran a concession stand in Brawl Town named Rico. He opened his concession stand in a quiet area near Bull's Diner, eager to sell popcorn to the people of the town. However, not as many people shared the same enthusiasm as him. Near the day's end, not one person had come to Rico's popcorn stand. All of his joy was lost as he let out a disappointed sigh. He turned around and began to pack up his popcorn gun. However, as he turned around, he noticed there was a figure standing near his stand. It appeared as though they wanted to buy some popcorn.

"Would you like to buy some popcorn?" Rico asked without any hesitation. This was the first time that day that someone actually showed up to his popcorn stand.

"Why, thanks for asking! Yes, I would like to buy a large box of popcorn." The figure replied.

Rico's eye widened as he immediately knew who it was. It was (Y/N)! He went around the popcorn stand and gave (Y/N) a big hug. It has been a long time since he had seen his best friend. He felt overjoyed as not only was this his first customer, but it was also his best friend!

"(Y/N)! I'll get on your order right away."

Rico returned to the stand, quickly made a large box of popcorn, and handed it to (Y/N).

"Thanks Rico! How have you been recently? (Y/N) asked as they took the large box of popcorn and pulled out a good amount of gems.

"Not too good. I decided to start up a popcorn stand but no one came expect for you. That will be 5 gems" Rico replied as he watched (Y/N) start eating the popcorn without paying.

(Y/N) immediately stopped, and waited to finish chewing before saying "How selfish of me! I'm sorry. Here, take 15 gems, keep the change."

Rico hesitated, but ultimately ended up taking the gems and saying his thanks before packing up again.

"It was great seeing you again, (Y/N)! I hope we can see each other more!"

"Good night, Rico!" (Y/N) replied, as they both went back their separate ways. Rico had recently received a charger from 8-Bit, which meant that he has two ways to recharge himself: gas and battery. Therefore, he was going to stay at the arcade tonight. Don't ask how this works..

(Y/N) was going back towards the older side of town.

As Rico approached the arcade, he quickly observed that it was pitch black inside and the main entrances were blocked. However, Brock had given Rico a route to a secret entrance before he had opened the popcorn stand.

Rico entered the arcade, and found an outlet in no time. There was something taped on top of it, but Rico couldn't see what it read. Because of this, he plugged in the outlet and shut off for the night. What he didn't know was that he was transferring a virus into his system by plugging himself to that outlet! The message above the outlet read "DO NOT USE".

In the morning, Rico woke up and was just as fine as he was yesterday. The virus had not taken over any of Rico's main organs. Instead, it secretly contaminated the popcorn in Rico's popcorn machine. So Rico left the arcade and reset his popcorn stand in the small corner near Bull's Diner.

On the other side of Brawl Town (I should change the name if I'm going to keep referencing places like Retropolis), (Y/N) was wide awake, ready for today like it was any other day. They changed out of their pajamas, put on some new clothes, and left their small house. It took about 5 minutes for (Y/N) to walk to the bar, starting off their day with some milk and going to Retropolis. If (Y/N) had a choice between where they currently resided and Retropolis, they would most definitely say Retropolis. The place was almost always illuminated with bright lights, which made it a surreal place, especially at night.

As (Y/N) reached the city, they decided to see what the arcade had in store. It did not take them long to reach the arcade.

Rico had one total purchase over the course of two days. He was more confused than anything as to why he wasn't making any sales from anyone else. He was now sitting down, shooting the wall behind the stand with bullets.

It was now 8pm. (Y/N) had been in the arcade for about ten hours, exploring the VR mode Jessie made. Obviously enough, they were hungry. Realizing they were in Retropolis, they briskly walked to Rico's popcorn stand to pick up another large box of popcorn. As they approached the popcorn stand, they noticed Rico not paying attention to anyone approaching the stand.

Rico heard (Y/N)'s footsteps and turned around. Once again, they were delighted to see their friend appear once again for them.

"Hello again, (Y/N)!"

"Hello, Rico. You should consider moving somewhere else. You might be able to make some more sales."

"I agree. You should help me relocate."

"I can if you can make a large box of popcorn for me again."

"Alright!"

Rico went to his popcorn machine and poured the contents into the box. He handed it to
(Y/N) and received ten gems. He happily turned around to put the gems into a box in which he kept his sales in.

They were about to part ways again, but (Y/N) ate a few of the popcorn kernels.

"Rico, what did you put in the popcorn this time?"

The rest was a blur to Rico. (Y/N) dropping to the ground in obvious pain, an ambulance showing up and taking them away, and an immediate shutdown of his popcorn stand.

It was now the night two days since the incident. Rico was now searching for answers, trying to find out what had happened. He was about to go to Bull's Diner, when Colt stopped him.

"Hi, Colt. Did you find anything that could've caused something like this to happen?"

"It was certainly the popcorn, but that's all I can say. I came to tell you that (Y/N) will be fine. They'll be out of the hospital tomorrow."

"Thanks, Colt. That's great to hear!"

They parted ways. Rico did not find anything in the Diner.

He decided to go to the arcade before calling it a day. As he was in the room he has slept in before, he located a particular outlet with writing above it. He read what the writing said.

And it all made sense.