5. Firelord Ozai

„Princess Azula, are you ready my lady?"

„Yes lets set off" I answered the head maid, as I walked in front of her to the direction of the banquet hall.

Today is my sixth birthday and I'm officially being introduced to publicity as princess Azula. It's gonna be the first time seeing my "father" firelord Ozai as well. My plans to draw attention at me, in fact worked since my mother came unexpectedly looking for me. She is still a little indifferent towards me, but we spent a lot of time together with Zuko in the empress rose garden. I don't mind her being like that, so I mostly had lots of fun with Zuko. The first chapter of this ill-fated relationship should by now be changed.

I've been preparing for today now for weeks. I'm looking elegant as ever. Wearing a red long dress, that covers my neck and is falling effortless down my waist. Black details in the seam of my dress, that are matching my black; and now already waist long thick hair, that I'm today wearing openly with only light curls and a red little crown on top of my head.

"Azula was already beautiful as a child" I thought proud and now somehow a little anxious.
Will everything go smoothly?

As we arrived at the big red colored main door of the banquet hall, I already saw Zuko standing right in front of it waiting for me.

Zuko is now 8years old. Our relationship is unexpected really good. The more time i spent with him, the more I get the feeling of wanting to protect him. But therefore I need to get stronger.
Right now the boy in front of me looks calm and happy, almost careless.
No big scar covering the left side of his face or a painful look in his eyes.
His clothes are matching to mine. Completely clothed in dark red with black details on the seam.
His black hair is tied up in a high bun and put inside the same red crown as mine.

„Don't be nervous grandma, I got you" Zuko said teasingly while taking my left hand.

Calling me grandma has somehow become a habit of his since he says I always act like one.

„I'm not nervous brat" i answered with a grin while I pinched him rather hard on his arm.

Just as he wanted to curse at me, the big red door of the banquet hall opened widely.

„Entrees of; Prince Zuko and Princess Azula"
Announced the doorman. His voice echoing thru the enormous and beautiful decorated room.

Everything fell silent. While we walked towards the throne, where Ozai and Ursa are seated and uncle Iroh standing behind, I could feel a duzend pair of eyes starring so intense at me, that it feels like they are starring right at my soul.

"Shit why do I feel so suffocated I shouldn't have worn a dress that goes around my neck" just as I wanted to loosen the fabric around my neck Zuko lightly pressed with his left arm against my waist signaling me that everything's alright.

"Thanks brat" I thought with my back regained confidence and a clear mind.

As we were right in front of my so called "family" we halted and at the same time kneeled respectfully down in front of Ozai.

„You both may stand up" he said with a dominant tone in his voice

As we now looked right at each other Ozai stood up from his throne and declared: „You all know my son; prince Zuko.
Now it is the time to introduce you to my daughter; princess Azula.
Today we gathered her to celebrate this child's sixth birthday. May the celebration begin."

"Introduce you to my daughter Azula my ass. Sir, it's the first time you see me. Who are you to introduce me anyways" I thought while having goosebumps because of his nonsense

Soon after he finished his short speech the room was filled with whispers. Just as Ozai held up his right hand, loud piano and violin music drowned out all those noises.

„Happy birthday little one" said Uncle Iroh to me as he sprinted towards me. I let out a quiet chuckle before I started to make my way to Ozai, who was starring at us from a few meters away rather uninterested.
Zuko tried to hold on to me and stopp me, but I brushed him off.

„Hello father. I'm happy to meet you and I'm thankful for this celebration that you hold for me" I said in a emotionless but still polite manner while bowing my head down a little bit.

I could feel his surprised and cold stare at me as he answered: „I already heard a lot of things about you, daughter."

„I hope only pleasant things" I said while looking up into his yet again surprised eyes and bowing slightly to signal him, that I will talk to my mother Ursa now.

„Hello mother" I said while smiling at her. I can't help but don't hate her no more. It is not that I love her.. it's more that I pity her. Also I can't forget what she said the day I was born; "her name shall be Azula. She shall represent the blue sky and the blue sea so that she someday may be able to live in freedom as I am unable to."
Back then in my old life, I always thought Azula was named Azula because her fire bending flame is blue and "Azula" comes from "Azul" which means "blue" in Spanish and Portuguese.. it makes sense that the meaning was set to be a different one, since no one yet was able to know, that I'm going to bend blue fire in the future.

„Happy birthday. You look lovely today my child" she answered in a gentle tone with a motherly gaze while stroking my cheek.

Since we haven't seen that much in the series about Azula as a child or her relationship with her mother overall, I'm not sure how much I changed. I still can feel that her love for Zuko goes deeper than for me, but I can't help but think that she grew a little attached to me.

It's really a shame that I know I can't do something against Ozai exiling her from the fire nation since I don't know when exactly it will happen. Moreover is she protecting Zuko with being banished in his stead.

"Arghhh shit is getting so complicated"
I thought while screaming on the inside and scratching my head

„That's unladylike sister" Zuko said from behind me with a few laughters escaping his mouth

„Shut it" i said quietly while looking at the mass of people in front of me who are eagerly waiting for a chance to talk to me.

"That's gonna be one long and annoying night huh?!"

————————————————

There's no structure in this chapter I'm lowkey just jumping from one situation to the next I beg pardon lmao <3

BTW I know that in the series Ozai isn't crowned as the firelord at this point BUT now he is. So that's it. There's no grandpa. Don't wanna include him here cause lazy ass <_>