XXXVI. Love Walked Out

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

COULD CRY JUST THINKING ABOUT YOU — TROYE SIVAN But there's a dazzling wave that keeps me at bay with you, my love

But there's a dazzling wave that keeps me at bay with you, my love

ON THE HMS Pogue, Stella sat in front of JJ with her head tilted back to rest against his legs. The couple seemed to exist in a world of their own with the blond's sunglasses covering Stella's closed eyes and his fingers running through her hair in a lazy attempt to braid it.

The sun was rising steadily in the sky, casting an ethereal glow across her skin that distracted him as much as the light reflecting from the chain around her neck. His lips pulled into a content half-smile as he studied her, then he leaned over to place a quick kiss on her forehead.

Stella smiled when his matching necklace brushed against her and her eyes opened to meet his.

"I thought you were sleeping," JJ said as he pulled away.

Stella shook her head and looped a finger around his chain. She admired the amethyst ring hanging from it before pulling him lower for kiss.

Pulling away, he paused to study her. Her sleep schedule had been getting better, but she still had dark circles under her eyes and he'd be lying if he said he wasn't worried. "How're you doing, Sunbaby? Doing good?"

Her lips quirked upwards. "Golden, J."

She liked the peaceful moments they managed to carve out of their days. It was important to have something to ground them and it was easy to fall into the familiarity of each other. Even though their friend was currently missing and their other friend was slowly losing their mind in front of them, they still managed to be Stella and JJ.

JJ nodded and leaned back. As he played with Stella's hair, he watched as she texted her mother about John B's release. Emma was busy at work so she couldn't reply until later, but Stella was too excited to wait until she was done whatever surgery she was performing at the moment. He thought about his own living situation and contemplated asking Stella if he could move into Marx Mansion with John B and live there full time. It's not like his father would care anyways, with him being in jail and all.

His thoughts were interrupted by John B stepping onto the boat to pace.

"So, Sarah just dips and doesn't call?" He asked for what felt like the millionth time. The group had already told him exactly what happened in his absence, including the last time the blonde was seen.

From across the boat, Pope nodded. "Yeah, man. She just left her bag, didn't tell anybody."

"Okay," John B scratched his head, "I... I really think Ward got to her. I mean, the dude tried to have me killed in jail."

His confession caused everyone to look at him in alarm.

Pushing JJ's sunglasses to sit on the top of her head, Stella gave him a pointed stare. "I'm sorry, what?"