XVII. The Tale of the Three Kook Princesses

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

THROUGH THE DARK — ONE DIRECTIONYou tell me that you're hurt and you're in painAnd I can see your head is held in shame But I just wanna see you smile again

You tell me that you're hurt and you're in pain
And I can see your head is held in shame
But I just wanna see you smile again

LATER IN THE day, the group of Pogues found themselves sitting on John B's porch waiting for him to return so they could start making a plan. Kie was pacing back and forth, Pope was sitting on a stool next to JJ, and Stella was sitting on JJ's lap, fiddling with the ring around her neck.

"Where is he?" Kie complained, her voice laced with impatience.

Stella looked up with the intent to calm her down, but her eyes landed on something behind her.

On the other side of the patio's screen, John B was talking to Sarah Cameron as she walked her bike to the house.

Stella's face dropped and she got up from JJ's lap. "You've got to be kidding me."

The other three looked up to see what she was staring at and instantly knew that the next twenty minutes of their lives were not going to be easy.

"No." Kie shook her head in disbelief before turning to join Stella's side. "No, this is not happening."

There was a heavy silence as John B opened the screen door and ushered Sarah in. The tension was thick as the Kook princess sat down on the couch next to John B.

Kie was the first to break the silence. "No effing way!" she boomed glaring at John B. "You brought her here? So what? She's in on this now?"

John B looked over to Pope and JJ for help.

"I dunno." Pope shrugged.

JJ took a quick glance over at Stella, not liking that Sarah's presence was making her uncomfortable, and let out a small sigh. He knew that he'd have to approach the situation as both Stella and John B's friend and not just as Stella's boyfriend. "Look," he said, pointing a finger at his honorary brother, "all I care about is her cut comes out of your share."

"She's not getting a share at all," Stella snapped, glaring at John B and Sarah. "She's not in on this."

"You know, I don't remember taking a vote." Kie tilted her head at John B. Her voice got louder the more words she spoke. "This is our thing. A Pogue thing."

"I gotta say," Pope spoke up, raising a finger in the air, "I'm just a tad uncomfortable with all of this."

"Thank you!" Stella and Kie shouted in unison.

John B gave him an incredulous look. "When are you not uncomfortable?"

"I dunno. I rode here on the back of JJ's bike pretty comfortably."