XLII. Golden, J

CHAPTER FORTY-TWO

YOU'RE GONNA MISS THIS — CHELSEA CUTLER You wanted the water, well, you got an oceanBaby, close your eyes, just live in the moment

You wanted the water, well, you got an ocean
Baby, close your eyes, just live in the moment

STELLA KNEW HER friends weren't stupid. Pope was right behind her in terms of grades and John B knew more about the real world than most seventeen year olds ever could. But the problem with being friends with intelligent people was that the intelligence often cancelled out when they were together.

"You seriously didn't grab anything?" She questioned, pinching the bridge of her nose after they debriefed the rest of the group. "Not a single gun?"

John B scratched his head before giving a hesitant reply. "We... we tried, okay? I got attacked."

Beside her, JJ pushed off the box he was leaning against and shook his head. "This is why I should've gone with."

"Let me get this straight," Cleo started, eyes bouncing between the Pogues. "You five, with no weapons, decided you were gonna hijack this tramp steamer on your own? Do you have any idea who these people are?"

"Literally no clue."

"If Eberhimi catches you, he's gonna kill you." Her expression was still and serious. "Dead. Cut off your fingers."

"Okay, we get it."

Stella narrowed her eyes. "Would it be a clean cut...?"

Her friends turned to her with questioning stares.

"What?" She defended, raising her hands. "The cleaner the cut, the easier reattachment is. My mom has really good neurologist friends."

Panic began to set in as Kie realized the severity of their situation. "What about waiting until we get to port?" She suggested, being the only one to offer a plan. She tried to think about what John B and Sarah did the last time they were stranded at sea. "At least then, if something goes wrong, we have a place to run."

Pope immediately shook his head. "No, we can't do that."

"Why not?" Stella questioned. "Hiding here until we have an escape route is our best chance of survival, isn't it?"

"I've run the scenario over a thousand times in my head, and our best chances are on this ship. There's fifteen crew members and six of us."

Kie and Stella shared a puzzled look. Was he hearing himself? "Exactly," the latter stressed. "Three-to-one odds are not good odds, Pope."

"If we wait here until we dock, they'll trap us."

Kie sighed out of frustration. "Great, so we're trapped either way."

Sitting down with a groan, John B ran his hands through his hair. He pulled the ends slightly before turning to his friends. "There's something else," he started, waiting for their attention to shift. "Ward's alive. He's alive, and he's on this boat."