XV. One Flew Out of the Hawk's Nest

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

TRAITOR — OLIVIA RODRIGOBrown guilty eyes and little white liesYeah, I played dumb but I always knew

Brown guilty eyes and little white lies
Yeah, I played dumb but I always knew

THE FIVE TEENS sailed to Rixon's Cove with adrenaline still racing through their veins and the sense of disbelief of how they left the party hanging in the air.

There was a small inkling of regret budding in Stella's chest as she recalled her mother's displeasure over the situation. She knew that other adults would whisper about her mother's lack of proper parenting or say that she was getting lost in the wrong crowd, but that small amount of regret paled in comparison to the excitement she was feeling right now.

The HMS Pogue hit the shore of the sheltered bay just as JJ finished filling them in on what happened after he was arrested.

"That's a lot of money, J," Stella fret once he told them about his restitution. "Let me talk to my mom, maybe—"

"No." JJ shook his head, already knowing what she was going say, and helped her off the boat.

She gave him a look. "You know she loves you."

"After making a scene and embarrassing her in front of all those Kooks? I don't think so."

"It was cute," Stella defended with a frown.

"I was asking you to be my girlfriend," JJ deadpanned. "Of course you thought it was cute."

"And as your girlfriend and longtime best friend who happens to have the resources to help you, I also think that—"

"You aren't giving me any money, Stel."

"I wouldn't be giving it," she wagered, watching as the others started a fire to sit around. "Consider it a loan. If John B's lead checks out then you'll have no problem paying it back. I'm not going to let you—"

"Stella-Anne." JJ's tone was stern and left no room for further argument. He leaned forward so his face was closer to hers and nearly smirked at how quiet she got. "My answer's no. Now help me take this suit off."

"Alright, grumpy."

Despite Stella's claims about how good he looked in a suit, JJ changed back into his regular attire and joined the others while they waited for John B to share his latest breakthrough.

"Hey, guys," Pope said as he sat down on a fallen log. "My dad's already gonna kill me, so what's this mandatory meeting about?"

John B looked to JJ, shooting him finger guns, and the blond shrugged. "Might as well tell him, man, before we're gaffed."

Stella's eyes widened and she glanced up at her boyfriend from where she sat under his arm. "I'm sorry, did you just say gaffed? Like impaled? With a hook?"