XL. Not Mad, Just Disappointed

CHAPTER FORTY

WALKING AWAY — CHELSEA CUTLER 'Cause I let you down when I lost my focusI tried my best but you didn't notice

'Cause I let you down when I lost my focus
I tried my best but you didn't notice

"UH, POPE? YOU'RE driving pretty fast."

The trees lining the dark asphalt passed in a blur as Pope sped towards Freedman's Church. He was going at least twenty miles above the normal speed limit and none of his friends felt comfortable with the way he was swerving in and out of the lane.

Stella held onto the door handle, bracing herself for every bump and turn. JJ's arms were wrapped around her waist to keep her in place. There were five seats and six of them, so she had offered to sit on his lap which JJ (of course) gladly welcomed.

Her boyfriend's grip tightened as Pope ran over a pothole. "Pope," he called out, "last to judge, but I think you should slow down a little."

Pope shook his head. "That would definitely delay our arrival to the cross. We gotta get there."

In the passenger seat, Kie looked back at her friends with panic written all over her features. "Why did we let him drive again?"

"He said he'd rip our ears off."

"I said I'd rip your ears off!" Pope replied cheerfully, unaware of the stiff looks being shared amongst this friends. "I was joking about that, by the way."

"It's always laughs with you, isn't it, buddy?" Stella patted his shoulder, causing him to completely turn his body around to look at her. The car veered off to the side of the road and her eyes widened. Using her hand to push his face forward, she spoke again. "Whoa! Pope! I know you're hopped up on adrenaline, but can you keep your eyes on the road?"

He swerved back into the proper lane, practically jumping in his seat. "I feel fantastic! I don't know what JJ's cousin gave me, but I am moving!"

He took a dramatic hold of the steering wheel and turned it like a child. The truck instantly filled with shouts of protest and when Pope stopped, John B leaned forward. "I don't know if you noticed, but there's these giant oak trees all along the road. They're like six inches off the road."

Pope ignored him and swerved again, trying to pass the car in front of them.

"Don't do that. You don't need to pass."

"Pope, don't— Oh, shit!"

He drove straight into oncoming traffic, narrowly missing a car that was headed towards them. The tires screeched and Stella could've sworn she saw her life flash before her eyes.

The boy in the driver's seat remained unbothered and looked back at his friends. "What an asshole, right?"

"We're not gonna get to the cross if we're dead, Pope!"