XXXIX. Push One of Epi!

CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

DRAG ME DOWN — ONE DIRECTION All my life, you stood by meWhen no one else was ever behind meAll these lights, they can't blind meWith your love, nobody can drag me down

All my life, you stood by me
When no one else was ever behind me
All these lights, they can't blind me
With your love, nobody can drag me down

"THEY'RE GONNA KILL us," Stella drawled, staring at the clock on the dashboard. "Like slaughter us, somehow bring us back to life, then kill us all over again."

Hours passed since they left their friends in the rising tide of the backwater swamp. The promise of twenty minutes was shattered the moment Luke Maybank showed up. Thankfully, he would no longer be a problem. As of forty minutes ago, he was on a one way trip to Yucatan. But despite the good news, Luke's disappearance wouldn't save them from the anger of the others.

JJ laughed. He was taking his father's departure surprisingly well. He'd miss him (as much as he hated to admit it), but he knew he would be better off without him. After the initial grief of abandonment, he found comfort in the fact he still had his friends. As long as he had his chosen family, he'd be okay.

"Five bucks says Pope throws a fit," the blond proposed, resting his elbow on the middle console of Mr. Carrera's truck.

Kie raised a brow. "You don't even have five dollars."

He grinned. "That's why I bet on Pope."

The backroads turned to mud and Kie slowed down, careful not to scratch the truck. She went against her better judgement stealing the truck and knew it was only a matter of time until her parents figured out it was her who took the keys. She wasn't about to get in trouble for damaging the paint too.

Pope, John B, and Sarah were perched on top of the Twinkie when they arrived, and Stella frowned as she looked at them through the side mirrors. They looked beyond pissed.

"Look who it is," Pope drawled as they exited the truck. "Mr. and Mrs. Tortoise and their pet snail. Just a couple hours late."

"Where the hell were you guys?" Sarah questioned, brows furrowed with her arms crossed.

JJ set up the winch and turned to her. "Paternal complications," he explained with a shrug. "Luke was at the Chateau."

"Oh, great!" Pope scoffed. "While you were having family time with your pops, John B got bit by a gator!"

With wide eyes, Stella stepped closer to the waterline. She didn't get too far, considering JJ grabbed her by the waist and pulled her back. He watched the water with a careful eye. "Like, for real?"

"Does it look like we're joking?"

After scanning the area for any sign of wildlife, Stella moved JJ's hands from her hip and stepped into the water with a grimace. She ignored his calls for her to come back in fear that she'd become gator food and approached the Twinkie. "Let me see it," she ordered John B. When she reached for his shirt, he smacked her hand away. Glaring, she hit him back. "Let me see the bite, John B."