XXXVIII. And They Were (Going to Be) Roommates

CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

BRUTAL — OLIVIA RODRIGOAnd I'm so sick of seventeenWhere's my fucking teenage dream?

And I'm so sick of seventeen
Where's my fucking teenage dream?

JJ LIKED TO think that Stella fell in love with him first.

He liked to imagine that she was the one who sent longing stares across the schoolyard growing up and grew jealous when his attention was stolen from her.

But in reality, it was him who fell first. His love for her was resolute the moment they met.

He was the one who watched her every move, captivated by the simplest of actions and awestruck by her existence. How he'd hold her body against his, run his fingers through her hair, and kiss every scar that littered her skin. He knew the story behind each one. A cut on her thigh by a rock in the marsh, a burnt forearm from the dropping a hot cookie sheet, torn skin from when she fell out of a tree and gained her fear of heights. From the the way her eyes shifted colour with a fleeting change in emotion to her tiny habits of frustration. He knew everything about Stella.

So when he walked into the Chateau's kitchen and saw her tapping her pencil against the dining table with furrowed brows, he paused. She was beautiful, even hunched over her science textbooks, muttering something about DNA replication. But something was bothering her.

"How're you doing, Sunbaby?"

She lifted her head from her notes, her gaze following shortly after, and sighed. "Most definitely not golden, J."

"Biology's that bad, huh? All could've been avoided if you just stopped studying and hung out with me." He chuckled and grabbed two water bottles from the fridge, placing one in front of her before taking a sip from his own. When the tired look on her face failed to falter, he sat beside her. "Alright, talk to your hubby. What's goin' on in that big ol' brain of yours?"

Stella glanced a Pope through one of the windows. "Yesterday, Mrs. Rowe told me that I got accepted into a summer program at UNC."

"Oh, shit," JJ gasped, a proud grin spreading across his lips. "Isn't that, like, really good? Why do you look like you did when One Direction broke up?"

"The spot in the program goes to the person at the top of their class." She shook her head and fiddled with her necklace. "It should be Pope, not me."

JJ stared at her, trying to figure out exactly what she meant. He wasn't good at many things, but he was an expert on Stella. She was struggling to find a balance between doing what she wanted and being a good friend.

"Is Pope at the top of our class?" he asked, giving her a knowing stare. "Or are you?"

"Me, but—"

"Did you cheat your way there?"

"No, but—"

"Okay, so what I'm hearing is that you earned the spot fair 'n square."