X. Ghosts of Fathers Past

CHAPTER TEN

DADDY ISSUES — THE NEIGHBOURHOODI didn't cry when you left at firstBut now that you're dead it hurtsThis time I gotta knowWhere did my daddy go?

I didn't cry when you left at first
But now that you're dead it hurts
This time I gotta know
Where did my daddy go?

IF STELLA WERE to be completely honest, all she expected from the night was to trespass on private property and leave the cemetery empty handed. The last thing she expected was to find a large FedEx package stuffed in the wall of the world's creepiest mausoleum—not that she's ever broken into another mausoleum before. 

Boosting Kie out of the tomb, all Stella could think about was John B and how he would react. She really hoped that the package had something of meaning inside of it, not wanting to see the disappointed expression of her best friend again.

When Kie was out, she grabbed Stella's hand and pulled her out. When her two feet were planted firmly on the grass, she turned to John B and handed him the white FedEx package they found.

Before Stella could even catch her breath, JJ pulled her by the arm and placed both hands on her shoulders. "You okay?" he questioned, looking over her figure and scanning for injuries. "No snake bites or anything? I didn't hear barking so you're good, right?"

Stella rolled her eyes, the corners of her lips curling upwards, and gently pushed his arms away. "I'm fine, J." She reached down and brought the joint he was smoking up to his lips. "Here, take a hit and relax. You look like you need it."

"Are you saying I looked stressed?"

"That's exactly what I'm saying."

"Because I am." JJ nodded, smoke leaving his mouth as he spoke. "You stress me out."

"You should worry less. If you keep it up, you'll get wrinkles by the time you're twenty." Stella flicked his forehead and walked off to join Kie's side.

"Sorry!" He shouted rather dramatically after her. "I didn't know caring was a crime!"

Stella's face broke out into a wide grin and without looking back, she playfully flipped him off.

JJ shook his head as he stared at her retreating figure with a fond look and took a drag of his joint. "Screaming in a tomb like a crazy person, christ woman," he muttered to himself. He turned to face the cemetery and as the cloud of smoke disappeared, his eyes widened and he turned to his friends. "Oh, shit. Code red. Code red. Square groupers!"

There was collective response, the four other teens inhaling sharply, and they scrambled to the side of the mausoleum to hide.

"Lights!" Kie ordered, crouching next to the stone wall.

Stella clicked her flashlight off and turned to the others. Her eyebrows drew together as she watched John B try to hide his lantern in his shirt. "What are you— Oh, give me that!" After taking the lantern and shutting it off, she peered around the corner. "Is it them? I can't tell."