I. Paradise on Earth

CHAPTER ONE

LEFT HAND FREE — ALT-JAin't shady baby, I'm hotLike the prodigal son

Ain't shady baby, I'm hot
Like the prodigal son

"MOM?" STELLA CALLED out as she walked through the French colonial style house.

"In here!"

Stella rounded the corner, her footsteps echoing against the pristine hardwood floors. The morning light that streamed through the window at the end of the hall reflected off the picture frames on the wall, causing her eyes to squint as she passed by. The door to her right, which was usually kept shut, was wide open revealing Emma Marx frantically rushing around. On the desk in the middle of the room were documents and files stacked in a messy pile and in the chair behind it was a tattered briefcase.

"What're you doing?" Stella asked from the doorway, leaning against the frame with a raised eyebrow.

Emma looked up from the files she was shoving in her bag and blew a strand of hair out of her face, giving a small smile as her gaze settled on her daughter. "There's a hurricane hitting in a couple days and you know how busy the hospital can get. They called me in."

The corners of Stella's lips quirked at the mention of her mother's place of work and her back straightened. "Do you need extra help?" She asked, even though she had already fulfilled her volunteer hours for the week.

Aside from John B's house (affectionately named 'The Chateau'), Kildare General Hospital was practically Stella's second home. She had spent countless hours of her youth roaming the linoleum floored halls, talking to the staff, and getting into mischief as she waited for her mom to finish performing surgery. It was because of the exposure to medicine during her little adventures that she wanted to become a doctor, ultimately leading her to become a volunteer when she turned fifteen in hopes of gaining experience that would look good on her college applications.

Emma shook her head. "No, it's okay, love," she said, an appreciative look flashing across her features. While she admired her daughter's work ethic, the young girl often forgot to enjoy her youth. "What's up? What do you need?"

"Oh, nothing." Stella shook her head, signifying that the reason she sought her out wasn't serious. "I just wanted to let you know that I'm going out with my friends."

"Alright, have fun, sweetheart," Emma said, returning back to her papers. "Oh, and do tell John B that eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches everyday isn't a sustainable diet. I know it's been hard for him, but his father wouldn't want him being malnourished. In fact, just tell all your friends to have dinner here tonight. I bought stuff to make tacos, it's all in the kitchen. You might need to buy more shells, I know JJ likes to—"

"Okay, Mom," Stella interrupted with a slight laugh and dismissive wave. Her mom had the tendency to ramble—a trait that had been passed down to her. "I'll tell them. Don't worry about us, worry about your future patients."