Chapter 3

An entire moon cycle would have to pass before they arrived in the Fire Kingdom. Sergon had taken the fast ship, so he would arrive a half cycle before them if the winds were good, since he'd also left six days before they had.

The wait was almost too much to bear.

In order to pass the time, however, Kaisog had taken it upon himself to teach her what he knew of their mannerisms. Things he'd learned during the many reconnaissance-missions he'd been sent out on over the years.

"I cannot say I have spent a lot of my time inside the royal court, however I have come into contact with the like on several occasions." His arms were crossed over his ever-armored chest. "Though most of these were simply nobles and not kings, I imagine it would be quite similar in how they do things."

So, she might have to take this with a grain of salt, then. Still, it was better than nothing.

"At all times that these men were appearing publicly, their wives stayed at their sides. They rarely said anything, they were just by them," he explained, while she listened intently. "At balls and the like, they would on occasion stray from their husband's sides and instead make conversation with some of the other guests. It would only be for a short while before they returned to their position again, however."

She frowned. "So, am I only expected to remain silently by his side all the time?"

"In the beginning, yes, I would imagine so," he confirmed. "Well, perhaps not if another person approaches you, but you should never speak too far beyond the questions you are asked. Replying politely but vaguely is what you are to do." Seeing her sour expression, he quickly continued. "Of course, this is only during public events. In your daily life, I imagine you will be allowed to do almost anything you might wish to."

She nodded while releasing a sigh. Well, it was fair enough. She certainly wouldn't be surprised if she said something wrong at some point, so maybe it was a good idea to keep as quiet as possible. Besides, as he said, that wasn't something which would happen every day.

She wouldn't be giving up over something so small anyway. Maybe it wouldn't be as bad as it seemed.

Kaisog scratched the back of his head, unsure how to reassure her any.

"Keeping up appearances and your reputation; that is usually what I find they worry about. Anything goes as long as these are upheld."

"Ya worry too much," one of the crewmembers said behind them, having overheard their conversation. "I'm sure the king will tell ya what he wants ya ta do and not ta do. No need ta stress over that already."

She turned to the man. "Do you know the king well?"

His face twisted into an apologetic frown. "I don't know his majesty in private, I'm afraid – Commander Sergon is far better ta ask about that. I've met with him several times during work, though." He looked thoughtfully out at the vast sea. "Well, for starters, he ain't nearly as horrible as all those rumors make 'im out ta be."

Kaisog crossed his arms, looking at the man with something between a frown and a glare. "Surely the rumors you speak of did not simply appear by themselves."

The man's shoulders sagged a little. "People easily get afraid of things they don't know or understand," he said, looking pointedly at the two of them.

She nodded quickly, knowing what he was getting at.

"It's unknown where his majesty, Lodin Morian, comes from, though it's expected he's from the West, given his appearance. No one knows exactly why, but he became part o' the Royal Guard and made it ta the top when he was a mere fifteen summers – the youngest ever that's known of. The king he worked under then had been very sick and eventually died without heirs ta take over. Despite his age, the young king managed ta fight his way ta the throne through the many others who'd been in the Royal Guard for decades longer." He shrugged lightly. "Some say he'd planned ta become king all along and in the end murdered any that'd step in his way. Some're just afraid of what someone so talented could do with the kind of power he now possesses."