Chapter 13

"Princess Ciara, you cannot go there!" Sergon yelled after her as she sprinted outside, running faster than she had in a very long time. He could barely even keep up with her despite the many skirts she was weighed down by.

"I have to!" she shouted back. "I cannot just leave it alone - it will be killed!" she said, and called for Kaisog as soon as she ran outside.

It took the drake mere moments to land in front of her, crouching low to let her up on his back with ease.

"Thank you, Kaisog." She gently though hastily patted his neck. "Please take me to Crocus - we have a dragon to save!"

He gave her an affirmative growl before spreading his wings out wide and quickly taking to the air, both completely ignoring Sergon's yells.

She'd barely been up there any time at all before she could hear the roar of pain accompanied by human yelling. She didn't have to tell him for Kaisog to speed up at the sound of that.

Before long, they could also see at least some of what was going on. An adult, crimson-red dragon was indeed raging in that square - likely because it was surrounded by Dragon Slayers pointing their spears and arrows at it. Even sending them flying, aiming to hurt.

She grimaced to herself. They had mistaken that pained roar for being one of violence. It was already bleeding because of their advances.

"Come on, Kaisog, we have to do something before anyone is seriously hurt."

That dragon was fully grown, and from the looks of it not unused to battle. If it decided to go further than to simply protect itself, there was no telling how many could die.

Kaisog landed right across from the furious fire dragon and amidst the many spears and arrows, creating a ruckus among the Dragon Slayers, who only grew more agitated, yet still held their fire. One dragon was one thing, two was a whole other, it seemed.

She quickly jumped down from Kaisog's back, presenting herself to the many Dragon Slayers, who seemed absolutely prepared to fight for their lives. Even with her there.

"None of you may harm this dragon!"

"That is the princess from the Dragon Kingdom, is it not?" one seemed to ask the ones around him.

"Yeah. What is she doing here?"

"Why the hell should we listen to some girl, who knows nothing of war?" a third asked, seemingly trying to rally some of the others, earning him a deep snarl from Kaisog.

She completely ignored all of them and instead turned to the dragon, who was warily watching everything going on in front of it with bared teeth. It didn't trust anyone. Not even her.

She slowly stepped towards the snarling dragon, feeling how the whole area around her tensed up as if holding its breath.

With its dark eyes as black as coal focused entirely on her, attempting to burn a hole in her very soul, she raised her weaponless hands into the air.

Even so, she still got a snarl from it as it towered above her.

"I will not hurt you." She stopped where she was, well within its range. "No one will, as long as you do not harm any of us either. I promise."

It kept its gaze on her a moment longer, then let them flicker to Kaisog. The black drake yipped happily, sweeping his tail across the pavement playfully.

Giving Kaisog one last, long look, the fire dragon turned back to her, paused, then slowly lowered its head down to her.

Up close, it was plain to see this one was a male - its features were far too rough and rugged to be female. And he was also a much older dragon, his calmness and watchfulness proving that.