Chapter 60

Ciara slowly closed the door behind her, meeting Alex' curious eyes on the other side.

She shook her head with a light smile. "It seems he is bound to the office for the night. But he promised it would not be long until we could do it again."

"Well, there is not much to be done about it, then." He smiled carefully.

She nodded. "He actually seemed disappointed he could not, so I think he is looking forward to it just as I am."

Alex nodded, his grin widening. "There is no doubt about that." He then placed a hand on her back and gently pushed her forward. "Now then, please allow me to escort you back to your room so that that day may come sooner."

She giggled. "Please do."

"Oh, how adorable you both are," a condescending and all too familiar voice spoke up ahead.

"Victoria," Ciara muttered. "What are you doing here?" she asked, not sure she actually wanted an answer at all.

"To see Lodin, naturally. Why else?" she replied as though that should be obvious. "Now then, you go up and sleep well like the good, little girl you are and let the adults do their business," she said, a chillingly confident smirk on her face.

Ciara frowned. "You... too?"

"Oh, no need to worry about that. I can promise you it will be positively dreamy for me tonight." She sent Ciara a last wink before sauntering straight into the office without knocking, presenting herself or anything else.

Ciara stared at the now empty space. "What just happened?"

Alex' hand on her back - which had stayed there the entire time - pushed her forward a little harder.

"I doubt it matters - she is simply deluded enough to think she still has a chance," he said in a low, stern and very uncharacteristic tone. It was no exaggeration to say he disliked the woman as much as Kaisog did. "It is nothing for you to worry about, Ciara," he told her, decisively guiding her in the direction of the king's chambers.

Though he brushed it away as being the usual thing, Ciara couldn't help but feel like it was a little different this time - why else would Victoria behave so oddly? It was like she knew something that she knew Ciara didn't and was blatantly waving it in front of her. Ciara just couldn't figure out what it could possibly be.

Surely, the king didn't use her 'services' still. He wouldn't, right?

Neither she nor Alex said anything, both deeply immersed in their thoughts. As soon as she saw the familiar door, as always protected by two stationed guards whether there was anyone in there or not, she decided to cast it away. No matter how much she thought about it, she'd never figure Victoria out. That was the only thing she knew for sure about that woman.

"Thank you for escorting me here, Alex," she told him, intent on convincing him she didn't worry.

Though she knew it had been his job to do this since she'd only just arrived here, she still appreciated it. It far outclassed having to walk all this way alone. Even if they didn't speak.

He smiled gently at her, the frown that had marred his face a moment ago now gone.

"No problem, Ciara." He reached up to ruffle the hair at the top of her head a little. "Now, you go to bed and sleep."

She smiled up at him, glad that she'd been able to cheer him up even just a little.

"I will. Good night, Alex." She slipped into the dark room behind her.

She sighed lightly. It really would've been wonderful if she could've spent some time with Lodin. It felt as though it was so long ago they'd had the chance to talk last, even though she knew it wasn't.

She also couldn't get Victoria's expression out of her mind. Or Alex' reaction. What was the woman planning? And what brought her that kind of confidence?

Whatever it was, it was likely nothing she could change by worrying about it. She'd have to wait till tomorrow to figure out what was going on.

She quickly went through her nightly routine, getting dressed in her nightgown and ready for sleep. She brought a glass of water with her, placing it gently on the nightstand.

That was when she heard an unusual number of footsteps approaching the room. Patrols of that size didn't walk around during the night - especially not here. Was something going on?

She frowned when they suddenly stopped, replaced by the mumbling sound of people talking. She flinched when the disconcerting sound of armor hitting the ground sounded out there.

What was going on?

Her gaze was stiffly directed at the door, waiting to see when it would move to open. Or if it would.

And then it did.

The first thing she saw were the two guards lying unconsciously on the floor. Then her gaze was drawn upward as four figures quickly moved into the room. Clad in their full Dragon Slayer armor, one with a woven bag and two others with kerchiefs darkened by a liquid.

She backed up towards the wall with a gasp until the back of her legs hit the nightstand, tipping the glass of water off the table.

Why were they doing this? What had she done? She had to escape!

She glanced towards the balcony door. Would she be able to make it? And even if she did, what then? She could call for help, maybe? Did she have any other choice?

She sprang towards the door.

"Oh no, none of that," one of them said behind her. He grabbed her wrists and wrestled them behind her back.

She groaned lightly at the tight hold. She could already feel her skin bruise.

Even as she was roughly pulled into and trapped against his chest, she still opened her mouth to scream.

"SO-"

The cloth was promptly stuffed into her mouth and bound behind her head. She could immediately taste the toxins and just as quickly felt its effect.

She could hear laughter behind her as she was jostled around, her body growing slack.

"Well, that was incredibly easy," the man holding her commented.

"No one suspected a thing," one of the others said. "The Commander and the Mistress will be elated to finally be rid of this girl."

"And her beasts with her," the man behind her spoke again. "Finally our jobs will hold meaning again."

"Do not jump to conclusions," a third said, though she could barely differentiate between them anymore. "We are not done here yet. You, bring the bag."

She felt something being pulled down over her, turning her world completely black.