Chapter 53

Saying goodbye to her family was no less difficult the second time than it had been the first. Yet, this time she wasn't as worried nor nervous as she had been. She knew what she was facing and she also had an idea of how she'd tackle it.

Still, it was the exact same set-up as last, with her entire family there to see her off.

Her mother stood in front of her, both hands covering Ciara's.

"You are absolutely sure this is what you want to do?"

Ciara glanced behind her. Last time it had been Kaisog Tao standing by her side and escorting her to the Fire Kingdom. This time it was Kaisog the dragon, the king himself and some of her closest friends doing the same. There was no doubt in her mind.

She turned back to her mother, beaming at her.

"Absolutely."

She was returned with a soft one again. "There is no changing your mind this time either, I see," the woman stated primarily to herself. "I am not worried though. You will be just fine." She squeezed her daughter's hands. "Just remember what I told you, okay?"

Ciara nodded reassuringly. "I will, I promise."

Her mother ran a hand down from the top of her head and down the side of her face, saying nothing else. Her father placed a hand on her mother's shoulder.

"Do try to remember my words this time as well," he amusedly told Ciara, drawing attention away from the increasingly emotional mother.

Ciara smiled brightly at him. "I will not forget them this time," she promised, knowing her words to be true this time around.

Aem and Madia stepped forward as well.

"Do not worry, C. We will be by to visit you once in a while and make sure you will not be getting lonely." He sent her a grand smile while Madia eagerly nodded beside him.

That was when Ciara felt a presence right beside her.

"If you both would try not to make such a big uproar out of it next time, that would be wonderful," the king said with his arms folded over his chest.

Madia raised an eyebrow challengingly. "We would not have had to if you had treated our sister properly."

The king opened his mouth to protest, only to immediately close it again.

Alex chuckled from where he stood with the fire dragon. "You got him good."

"Naturally." Madia smiled and winked.

"Nothing hurts more than the truth." Aem looked pointedly at the king. "You had better do right by her this time around."

The king just stared at the two of them. "... All the same..." he muttered to himself, though she could only catch some of the words. "I will, to the best of my ability."

Aem sent him a skeptic look, then exhaled with a shrug. "Well, I will have to take what I can get," he quickly ended the conversation, then turned to Kaisog. "You pick up his slack and keep up the good work, big guy!"

Kaisog replied with a happy yelp and thumped his tail in response.

She smiled and shook her head at her siblings. "I will be looking forward to seeing you again, you two," she honestly told them, drawing their attention away from the king.

Madia smiled widely, then drew her in for a hug. "Just do not go catching poisoned arrows or causing too much trouble, C."

Ciara returned the hug with a quick squeeze. "I will do my very best."